Archinect
anchor

A tricky precident...

oe

Ive been wracking my brain trying to think of precedents for a bit of a difficult subject. Im trying to come up with examples of structures or spaces that were intentionally damaged or partially destroyed in order to alter (or accidentally altered) the way the building or space was used. Ive thought of 3, but none of them quite fit the bill.

1) The Reichstag: A building physically scared by political transitions. First by the Reichstag Fire, an incident likely orchestrated by the Nazis in order to garner support for the Enabling Act which gave supreme power to Hitler to rule by unilateral decree. The building was left in disuse through the whole of Nazi rule, slowly damaged by air raids and finally routed in a room to room battle by the Red Army in the Battle for Berlin.

Problem: The damage inflicted was largely topical, not structurally or spatially altering it. Also, Im sort of looking for an alteration of use, not just a structure that fell into disuse after being damaged.

2) The Oklahoma City Bombing: Really only matches the speed and scale of destruction Im looking for.

Problem: Timothy McViegh was an asshat and none of the political circumstances are particularly relevant. The building was never used after the incident, the loss of life and loaded subject, general senselessness of the attack make it a poor example.

3) Fall The Berlin Wall - Probably the best example, achieves the symbolic media impact Im looking for, and resulted in a total alteration of urban space around it. If anything the alteration is almost too great to be easily analyzed.

Problem: Really the only problem here is that the wall was never really used after it was torn down, sections remain only as memorials. But perhaps Im being lazy and this is the best example..

There must be much better examples. My brain is mud. Help!

Nov 28, 06 11:40 am
a-f

Egon Eiermann's renovation of Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, from church to memorial

Nov 28, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Are you also looking for buildings which were intentionally destroyed in order to achieve a certain architectural effect, like in "Das Gelbe Haus"?

Nov 28, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
archtopus

The Nazis (or I suppose any malicious imperialistic force) were good at this tactic. During their occupation of Poland, they specifically targeted historic landmarks in Warsaw for demolition knowing that those buildings would have the greatest impact on the perception Warsovians had for their city. Corner buildings were also a huge target because they contribute most to the urban street experience.

Do you have a specific definition for "destroy"? Some would say that cutting into an old building to create a modern addition is an act of destruction. The renovation of 2 Columbus Circle in New York doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Nov 28, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Soldier field was a massive renovation of the stadium and surrounding grounds. Essentially a new, ultramodern facility was inserted into a massive, neoclassical arena. Purists however, stripped the stadium of it's historical status. It is however, hugely successfull and a vast improvement over the crumbling relic it now sits inside. A fresh approach to urban planning, architectural preservation as well as selective demolition.

Nov 28, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Eiermann's project is close. My friend reminded me of Pope Julius' plan for Rome, the Chicago Fire, various highway projects that tore through urban neighborhoods. I guess by destructive I mean subtractive, and violently so. Perhaps anti-architecutural. To put it into words, I guess I would say 'a political will enacted as violent alteration of space.'

Nov 28, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

like haussmann in paris?

...and how 'bout the erasure of the less desirable ny neighborhoods when they were replaced by central park?

Nov 28, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

i found an interesting phenomenon in our county archives a couple of years ago.

like happened in many cities, the urban renewal administration removed a lot of the neighborhoods surrounding our central downtown. the files of the administration were boxed and dumped at the archives (still uncatalogued) when the administration was closed in the 80s.

going through these boxes i thought it was amazing that they photographed every single building that was removed, whether commercial, institutional or shotgun house, with a person in the foreground holding a placard with the address and other identifying information. i never could figure out why they went to such trouble to document what they were mowing down.

Nov 28, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
oe

correction. Pope Sixtus V. I knew that sounded wrong...

Nov 28, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
http://mail.architexturez.net/%2B/Design-L.V1/archive/msg21295.shtml

just a suggestion

Nov 28, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

How about Gordon Matta-Clarks work?

Nov 28, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

isn't the world trade center leaving the walls underneath the footprints of the old towers? or have they already cut that part too?

Nov 28, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Tacheles, bombed and partially demolished department store converted into exhibition space.

(Why can I only think of projects in Berlin?)

Nov 28, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Palast der Republik - cultural centre in former East Berlin stripped of original cladding and used as temporary art exhibition space.

Nov 28, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I thought of this Christo 1995 art installation when you mentioned the Reichstag:

Nov 28, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

lebbeus woods-radical reconstruction
le corbusier-ville radiuse (concept)
eric owen moss-hayden tract

Nov 28, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Controlled erosion of Völklinger Hütte

Nov 29, 06 3:29 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Lebbeus is a good suggestion dammson and I guess you are referring to his work in Srajevo and Zagreb? What he proposes there is not so much subtraction but more an acceptance of the redefined spaces created by shelling.

It would be difficult to find a place that had been intentionally subtracted to alter a space for the betetr hwich is what I think you are getting at.

A friend told me that in parts of Budapest (i think) they take down buildings in satges often with quite some time between. They are apparently used as bars and venues in the meantime.

Nov 29, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
oe

These were great guys, thanks. I had forgotten about Matta Clark, good stuff :)

Nov 29, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

There is the Colosseum - and there are a lot of examples of Roman amphitheatres which have turned into city structures. The theatres were used to fortify against the barbarians after the empire collapsed and later the stucture was used to build houses. The characteristic round shape is still found in Roman cities, in France, for example, and the center space has become an urban place.

Nov 29, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Becker

last session one of the design classes was asked to deal with an existing building in sarejevo. i forget the name, but it is a triangular building which was a library or something and was burnt down in a civil war to destroy the history, or memory of the people. it was really intense, and one artist or musician was asked to do something with it, he just cleared the centre space, shifting the fragments etc to the periphery creating an auditorium where concerts were played. it is a really awesome site too.

Nov 29, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: