Archinect
anchor

good firms in NYC to work for

ChAOS

so i left my boring life on the west coast and moved here for a job a couple of months ago. can't tell you what a relief it was to move here (NYC)! but the honeymoon has ended at the firm and i've realized i'm not really in to the daily fights between the staff (i'm serious), the verbal abuse thrown around like candy, the insane moodiness of the boss which of course sets all of our days, or the lack of respect.

now i've worked in a few different offices of varying sizes (from 4/12/30/270) and know that personalities can sometimes collide but as long as there's mutual respect things are fine.

so i'm starting my search, b/c i want to find a place to stay, a place where the work is satisfying (which it actually is here) and where people don't treat each other like shit and boss doesn't TRULY think they're god (it IS possible, trust me).

of course good design is key, high design might be interesting, I like working with 6-30 people, public space projects (museums, cinemas, performance spaces, low income housing...) would be ideal, but really what i'm asking is if any of you actually like the places you work and who you might recommend looking at. i'm not looking for an immediate switch, i'm doing more research this time, but really, not just who has the cool architecture (whatever your definition of that may be...but i got to tell you, i really like concrete!) but who is actually good to work for in this city?

Nov 27, 06 7:18 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

I heard Vito Acconci is a good place. I hear the guy that does white buildings is bad place - Meier. I hear Eisenman goes this way or that way. Perhaps the chick from Project Runway is hiring?

Nov 27, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

you need anti-depressants to work at tschumi's

Nov 27, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i haven't heard of Vito Acconci, i'll have to look it/him/them up

what about some not so famous names? not that i don't think i'm spectacular enough to work at one of these places, but from what i've heard you work for nothing and really don't get a whole lot of flex your brain type work. i've been told by some friends of friends that pigeonholing (sp) happens alot in them.

Nov 27, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Archinecture

is this a serious thread?

Nov 27, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

it is. why?

Nov 27, 06 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

because i would definantly take advice on where to spend my 8 hours a day from strangers off the internet replying to posts in their underwear at 2.37 pm. thats why.

Nov 28, 06 12:24 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

huanmic...
that's what this forum is for...and most people aren't hangin around in
their underwear at 2:37 pm. if you read the forums most people are
replying while at work.

there are a bunch of firms in new york are worth working at for
the work..but i do wonder if the working culture of new york in general
isn't a bit messed up..especially when it comes to architecture...lots
of overworking and not such good pay...although some people here have
had different experiences...personally i'm getting interested in possibly
starting to look...or going into the construction/general contracting side.
lots more money, less time at work and you get to see the actual details
and such. and you can work towards a pension...what a novel concept.

Nov 28, 06 1:38 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

I'm totally sitting in my underwear at 2:37 am posting to threads. That's my "genius time."

Nov 28, 06 2:29 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

Huanmic, besides the fact, why lie about it? There's nothing to gain, the amount of humor involved in something like this would be so minimal it wouldn't even really be worth the time, and like everything, it's an opinion. Just b/c someone said "THIS is a great place to work" doesn't mean someone would quit their job, drop everything, and walk in that office expecting to start work. That's what the research is about.

Underwear at 2:37 am huh? Guess it's better than imagining you all sitting naked at the computer at 2:37 am.

Nov 28, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 
mjoe

try insidearch.org

from my experience, new york architects are shy about sharing great places to work, but won't hesitate to tell you which places to stay away from.

Nov 28, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

sitting in my underwear? come on guys, no need to be so formal

Nov 28, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
joe

Vito's a cool guy... but I dont think he's looking for any help right now.

Nov 29, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: