Archinect
anchor

design of cool industrial/factory buildings

Urbanist

Could anyone recommend (recent) folios or other design guides for the design of really cool green general industrial buildings (beyond basic tilt-up)? I'm looking for general spec manufacturing facilities, particularly for the electronics, communications and medical equipment industries (although not wafer fabs or R&D facilities, per se). Any precedents or ideas would also be appreciated! (for thesis work)

Thanks!

Nov 24, 06 10:41 pm
treekiller

what's wrong with tilt-up? TU is an efficient use of material, labor and time... can adapt to local materials, incorporate high levels of recycled content (aggragate and fly ash). and produce tall walls required by most warehousing and manufactoring configurations. If the goal is to produce a high performance building envelope, insulation can be cast into the wall slabs, and fenistration is easily accomodated.

Ok there are better looking and higher performance wall systems available, but for more $$$. look to grimshaw's metal panels (the cheap version is corrigated siding) and other insulated metal composite panels.

In terms of rapidly renewables- there are some cement and cellulose/plant fiber products out there that may be adaptable to the industrial setting.

Several books from the last decade or so look at 'high-tech' architecture (pre-blob nomenclature) and are full of innovative, long span, high-performance industrial structures.

Urb- where are you located? If this is for your thesis, tell us more about your interests and intent...

Nov 25, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Hehe, thanks. Actually, apart from the fact that the structure's a bit flimsy, nothing's wrong with the TU. I just know TU's pretty well from past work experience. I'm looking to learn about other industrial typologies, such as ramp-up configurations and the Singaporean stack-up configurations that the JTC likes developing, and, of course, whatever oddities the Germans are coming up with these days. But, yeah, TUs will still be my proposal's mainstay.

It's an urban scale site with lots of issues. I'm investigating the potential for hybridized and mixed programs. Just looking for precedents, especially from abroad.

Nov 25, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: