Archinect
anchor

can someone explain the Casa da Musica?

6nuew

i can't begin to imagine how they went about designing this thing. someone break it down, please?

Nov 23, 06 7:09 am
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

building it or designing it?

Nov 23, 06 7:31 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

designing. i get the two large halls, with shear walls carrying the main loads downwards, but how the heck did they manage to program the rest of the spaces contained in the remainder of the form? seems highly irrational to me...

Nov 23, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

I have heard that the design was slated for something else initially and reused for this purpose. I have to say, if this is true, it is a rather happy coincidence that the spaces actually work out quite well. Some really beautiful circulation...the security desk way on the outside and behind the building is a little strange, though! Accoustics are great.

Nov 23, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes, I remember this from a Rem Koolhaas lecture at the Berlage. The concept was recycled from a villa project for a client who didn't want to separate public and private + needed lots of cupboards, so OMA proposed a rock of storage which was dug out with a central living room and adjoining sleeping niches. Translated to Casa da Musica, the concert hall became the living room, whereas the niches became surrounding spaces, or so the story goes...

Nov 23, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

yep, I've heard the recycling story... but i find it hard to believe that a design firm actually adopted this approach... just stuffing supporting spaces around the concert hall 'voids' and getting it to work so well. insane. why couldn't it be shaped in any other way? and is there any response to context at all? i've heard people call the building a 'good' icon... i don't know where to begin analyzing it though.

Nov 23, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
bigness

it is about creating one large space in the middle, with only one purpose, and hide all the clutter on the outside. it was imagined as the diagram for a house where the client wanted to have a tidy, communal area and a series of rooms where the various members of the family could keep their stuff and have privacy.
the concept (although it is more of a parti diagram) was then applyied to the music hall when they realized the shoe box was acustically the best possible shape, and they had to accomodate all the other functions aound it. so the main hall became a void and the rest is stuck to the side, with a concrete skin pulled over it holding everything inside. it's a bit like gehry or liebskind, who recycle formalities over and over again, only this is done with a spatial concept, which is a lot wider and powerful than a wirled shape or a broken line. nothing to get upset about.

Nov 23, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
oe
This is fun..
Nov 23, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

read Rem Koolhaas, "Transformations" in [email protected]+u (Tokyo: a+u Publishing Co., 2000), pp.106-114.

Nov 23, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

oe, great site. amazing to see the space and also close ups of the details.

Nov 23, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

another read is in OMA's "Content" page 302 >
where they explain the copy-paste design process...

Nov 23, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
MetropolitanMonk

This review written at the time of construction should give some insight in what happened with Casa da Musica:

[http://www.archined.nl/archined/3306.html=http://www.link.com]link[/http://www.archined.nl/archined/3306.html]

Nov 23, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

MM try:

this link posting trick again

[ u r l = WHATEVER THAT DANG LINK IS ] the text you want to see [ / u r l ]

it's not that difficult to try the preview button either to check if your post gets the [html] codes right...

btw- welcome and like your blog..

Nov 24, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

preview, then click the link to see if it's correct ..

this is the link

Nov 24, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
publix

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/80658278@N00/305269234[img]

Nov 24, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

forgot to use the [/img] at the end... that's what the preview button is for. or are you enjoying misposting?

Nov 25, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: