Archinect
anchor

Rhino Q: surface normal direction/value?

misterTT

I'm trying to script (in rhino) a series of surfaces, with aperture size that modulates based on the normal facing angle as compared to the construction plane(I.e horizontal surfaces are solid, while vertical surfaces are progressively more porous.
I know this data exists, I just don't know how to get it. I can see the variation graphically by using draftAngleAnalysis, which displays a color range on each face accoring to its face direction compared to XY plane, but how to get a number value?

any ideas?

Nov 20, 06 11:30 pm
bigness

there doesn't seem to be a way of obtaining that data, also because the color representation on the draft angle analysis appears as a bitmap mapped on the surface.
Why dont you try using orientonsrf?, maybe with a line representing the centre of each opening? the line would have an angle relative to the Cplane, that would also be perpendicular to the normal of that surface (that's how orientonsrf works) and it will give you feedback on it...difficult to suggest how to fit it in without knowing the script!

Nov 21, 06 7:00 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

If you are using Rhino 4:

SurfaceCurvature
Returns the curvature of a surface at a U,V parameter. See the Rhino help file for details on surface curvature.

Syntax
Rhino.SurfaceCurvature (strObject, arrParameter)

Parameters
strObject
Required. String. The object's identifier.

arrParameter
Required. Array. An array containing the U,V parameter to evaluate.

Returns
Array
An array of curvature information if successful. The array will contain the following information:

Array (3D Point)
3D point at the specified U,V parameter.

Array (3D Point)
Normal direction (vector).

Number
Maximum principal curvature.

Array (3D Point)
Maximum principal curvature direction (vector).

Number
Minimum principal curvature.

Array (3D Point)
Minimum principal curvature direction (vector).

Number
Gaussian curvature.

Number
Mean curvature.

Null
If not successful, or on error.

Nov 21, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 
bigness

wow.

Nov 21, 06 8:56 am  · 
 · 
bigness

i could say i did not know this because i'm still on rhino 3, but even if i was on four i doubt i'd knew

Nov 21, 06 8:59 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

thanks guys, I'll try all this out today and post results!

Nov 21, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

Its the same method on Rhino 3.

What you want to do is compare the normal of the face with another vector. This vector could represent the up direction, or could be anything else. This way you make a more generic tool rather than on that is simply tied to the XY plane.

Nov 21, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

yeah. i suck at rhino. i only make pretty shapes. buuuuuuu-huuuuuuuu!

Nov 22, 06 4:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: