Archinect
anchor

quick maya question

joe

I'm trying to extrude a rectangle along a path but whenever I get to a bend or corner the profile goes flat... anybody know how to do this?

In rhino its simple - - the sweep 1 rail, and it works, but.... in maya I cant figure it out.

the reason I want to use maya instead is so I can manipulate the original path and it will modify the surface(s) automatically. huh, is there a way to do that in rhino? that would be nice.

Nov 20, 06 10:29 pm
misterTT

I think this answers your question, or I'm just reading it wrong, in case, sorry.

1. select object and the path curve and
animate--->motion path--->Attach to motion path
you'll need to play with some seetings, but that will animate the rectangle over the timeline traveling on the path.
2. animate--->animated sweep--->create animated sweep
I think that's the name, but if not it's something sweep. Anyway, it snapshots at a frame interval, and then lofts the resulting curves.

good luck

Nov 20, 06 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I think I have done something using that method many months ago, but no matter what I do I cant get it to work using what you said. the only thing I didnt do was set keyframes and then try it. I shouldnt have to do that right?
the simplest idea I am trying to model, just cant get it.... this is just the first step in the process, but it'd be nice to at least have this "tube" thing figured out.

Nov 20, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I think Rhino 4 can do this…anyway--there are sweep commands in Maya too, though I think you're limited to only 1 rail (but I may be wrong--I usually just model in Rhino)

Nov 21, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks, I'll give that a try.

Nov 21, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: