Archinect
anchor

Katrina Cottage

Mark_M
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/28/Homes/The_house_that_Katrin.shtml

So what do you guys think? Is it a viable solution to emergency housing? It looks okay but they look like the houses that were just destroyed by hurricane katrina, well about a year ago. I wanted an archinect opinion before I ask the New Ubanist Lecturers that are coming to our school on Friday.

Nov 15, 06 9:25 pm
Mark_M

Oh yeah. The new archrecord says you can buy one at Lowes now.

Nov 15, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

emergency housing no. realistically you have to pay for siting, infrastructure, land (if it not yours) and the home itself. By the time you total that up the 370sq ft. version was coming out to $50,000+.

In terms of long term reconstruction, perhaps. but remember one size does not fit all. We are working with an elderly couple and a single mom with 6 kids.

Nov 15, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

very expensive @ 50000$. self defeating and too small.

Nov 15, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

The link that you posted, yes I believe this design is a response through New Urbanism. In basic New Urbanist ideals you will find out that they will design buildings from a certain time period where “supposedly” everyone was nice to each other. I personally don’t mind this at all as emergency housing, [just don’t tell my professor that I told you guys that :) ] I just believe this is where the line is drawn between the developer and the architect. 80% of residences in America are done by developers, not architects, so it does make you think who really has the upper hand. Here at ASU we are currently working on affordable prefab housing for New Orleans. Our entire year had the privilege to going to New Orleans with our instructors at the beginning of the semester for 4 days. It was a culture shock for all of us, especially for the native Phoenicians. We were welcomed by Byron Mouton ( http://www.bildit.com/ ), architect and professor at Tulane University who relocated with fellow architecture students to ASU during Hurricane Katrina last year. His work I believe is phenomenal, and is something to look at. They are prime examples on how New Orleans should rebuild. Im not saying that these “Cottage” homes will not be built, of course they will, its an typology that is hard for the natives to let go because thats all they know, and they are hard with the subject of change. The topic of “How Do we Design for New Orleans” has been talked about for a while now, and these typologies of the cottage home or the shotgun shack has been discussed numerous times. Personally my outloook is shown in my design which is a reconfiguration of what is already there (a shotgun camelback), making it better through a modern response and the technology that is available for us today rather than technology thats centuries old.

Nov 15, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: