Archinect
anchor

job market in ny?

MollyB

I just finished my master of architecture in canada and looking to work in nyc in January.
What are the few things I should look out for when applying a job in nyc? Hows the current job market in ny? Whats the range of salary a fresh grad would ask for in a ny firm?

Nov 15, 06 6:21 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

judging from the wealth of job postings on archinect's job section, i'd say it's pretty slim pickins. arkansas is where it's at. ba-da-bum.

Nov 16, 06 7:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

seriously, look at the jobs section, check the salary poll - also to your left. everything else you ask about is sooo subjective, and based on the little info you've provided, that it would take pages to write and explain. it might help if you said more about what you are looking for in a firm and perhaps others could direct you.

Nov 16, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

here's some advice I was given when I moved to new york. You're not going to get the job you want and your apartment will suck. True and true.

Nov 16, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
emilyrides

Well, I'm a native New Yorker, so I can give a little advice. Yes, your apartment will suck horribly. It will be small, and ultra expensive. It will also have at least one deal breaker you have to live with (no kitchen, crazy neighbor or landlord, above a loud bar, etc.). It will also be difficult to get an apartment, for instance my new apartment required almost $6,000 USD down for security, brokers fee etc. The good thing is there are jobs a plenty. NYC is going through the biggest building boom in its' history. Every available inch is being built and rebuilt. Try www.craigslist.org in NYC, I see a lot of architecture jobs posted there. You won't have any trouble finding work at all. All my friends are gainfully employed, and it's fairly common for people to headhunt at all the architecture schools here. I'm a bit older (29) but still in school, and I recently scored a very cool architecture job in NYC, basically a well paying internship. NYC is amazing: the buildings, the people, the nightlife - we have at all. Remember, your apartment will be horrible, but think of the city as your living room. Good luck!

Nov 16, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

have to disagree slightly...
there are deals out there for apartments..especially in bklyn.
i lived there for three years and my apartment was really nice.
my current apartment is in the LES and is 900 a month. so there
are exceptions to your rule emilyrides.

the job market does seem pretty strong though.

Nov 16, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: