Archinect
anchor

AutoCAD 2006 Hatch

sims

I'm trying to poche my walls with a solid hatch and I keep getting the message "do you really want to do this?" I click "y" and enter several times and then it often freezes so I have to restart. All my boundaries are closed so I'm not sure what is happening.

Any suggestions? Is it just giving me attitude?

Nov 15, 06 1:43 pm
Chili Davis

Your software is a diva.

Nov 15, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

sometimes when the area being hatched is too large or too complex of a shape autocad can't handle it (autocad is a diva, yes!)...use line in defpoints layer, because defpoints will not print, to segment the areas being hatched into smaller and less complex areas...hope that helps

Nov 15, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
sims

It must be. I've never seen this message before (from CAD anyway) and I can't seem to work around it.

Nov 15, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

take the time to draw a pline, associate that mo', and never re-hatch again!

Nov 15, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

sometimes the area you're hatching all have to be within the autocad window, nothing bleeding off the screen...one of the things i don't like about autocad is that the hatching has a temper...

Nov 15, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i second the pline...

Nov 15, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
sims

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you use pedit to adjust the width of the pline for the walls?

Nov 15, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'm a pline kinda guy!

Nov 15, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
postal

no, not at all sims... usually a seperate pline is the most appropriate thing to do when drawing walls, the previous suggestion to keep all these on defpoints is "good form"... pline thickness should never be used to express "physical/built" thickness. only to reinforce linewieghts where needed. (groundlines, flashing, etc.)

...just my tips, different pstrokes for different folks though

Nov 15, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What postal said. Also, when hatching large or complicated areas (such as wall poche in your case), I'd freeze or turn off all layers except the wall outlines and the hatch layer itself. Lots of stuff on a drawing can confuse AutoCAD when it's searching for a hatch boundary, even if those items have nothing to do with the area you're trying to hatch. In fact, you may want to try that step before taking the time to draw new plines all over the place. If it still doesn't work, then closed plines are your friend.

I agree with the others.... I generally love AutoCAD, but hatching is a bitch.

Nov 15, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just make sure that any associative hatches don't rely on Xref objects for their boundary... Some versions of AutoCAD will crash in a major way when they encounter this condition.

Nov 15, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: