Archinect
anchor

Graduating in May with BSD... Masters in Structural Engineering?

archMONSTER

Hey Guys!

Im graduating this May with my BSD in Architecture here at ASU. Its been a great 4 years, and I honestly have learned so much. ASU is a great school, and its getting better with the growing talented faculty making physical changes!

Now coming to the near end (eh... another semester to go) Ive been sensing that there are two globes in the real world, one of the architect, and one of the engineer. I want the taste of both. I honestly believe that this can really help me out in the real world, and as a practicing architect. I could be wrong here, but would I be ignorant to forget about my Masters in Architecture (which would only take 2 years), or spend 2 extra years, (4 years total) for my Masters in Structural Engineering? I worked in a firm over the summer and seemed like there is this huge gap between the two, and want to bridge it. Do I make sense here lol? I need some guidance, and I am searching if anyone has done this and has benefited from it???

Thanks guys...

:)

Nov 15, 06 1:48 am
liberty bell

Amoroso, are you female? If so, definitely do it, because the world of engineering is desperately trying to recruit more women, and with a background in architecture plus the knowledge of a PE you'd be in high demand, IMO.

If not, well, I still think it's a cool idea. But I guess you need to have a clear understanding of where you see yourself fitting in your career. Do you see yourself in a role like Calatrava, doing expressive structural design? Being in an architecture firm, specializing in the structural aspects of projects, or perhaps being an in-house PE in an architecture firm?

My most optimistic view of your choice would be that operating in the worlds of both design and structure you would indeed bridge the gap and find a very fertile ground in which to work (excuse my civil engineering metaphors, you don't want to go into THAT field). My most pessimistic view is that you would find yourself unable to break into the design side of things and end up crunching lateral force numbers in a cubicle farm.

It does sound intriguing, though - I can understand your curiosity.

Nov 15, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I think if you want have you feet in both it would be easier to stick with architecture. As an architect, you're expected to be versed in engineering, but not necessarily vice versa.

In California, a licensed architect is allowed to stamp structural drawings (at least for residential). I've started engineering my own projects and stamping the structural drawings. I have more control and don't have to deal with some visionless engineer. At least for residential (I don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything but), its pretty easy to learn over a few nights and weekends.

Nov 15, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

oh yeah, the extra liability is a different matter...

Nov 15, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

did you have annebale for structures? i'm working with an engineer right now who has his bsd in arch and is masters in arch, but also his masters/license in engineering. he's good to work with because we use him for a lot of our bridge work, and he thinks in terms of lightness and aesthetics. he even pulled out his arch thesis once to show us. however, his day to day job is that of an engineer. i would say unless you work in an A/E environment, you are probably going to be either an architect or an engineer regardless of how varied you are, as there is a strong division of labor issue here. when i was at umich i new a lot of 3+ students who had done a ugrad in structures. personally i think that is a better way to go, as you can still get a license in both that way (knowing of course that you can get licensed i az with your bsd-although it won't transfer that many other places). if you reaaly love engineering though i'd go for it.

Nov 15, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

that said i think it's important to note that i've known a lot more engineers who are interested in and well versed in architecture than the other way around. it would be more interesting i think if you went for an Meng and became an architect.

Nov 15, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER
Amoroso, are you female?

Im a male. :)

Thanks guys! This has been helpful. I think I have come to a conclusion as of now. Since ASU BSD program is a non-professional degree... and that I am still young and still need to mature, architecturally, I might as well do the 2 years and get my masters in Architecture. After my masters in the mean while working on my 3 year internship preparing for the ARE exam I can work towards my engineering degree. I honestly love both fields equally, and I feel that having both of them under your belt, however practicing as an architect creates an amazing world of opportunities in design. I know what you guys mean, they are totally different careers in the real world. However to know and have knowledge of both sides of the force, the dark and the light, I feel makes one powerful Jedi, opps I mean architect lol. (darn cinemax) In all honestly I feel that I have always been restricted in how to design something due to the fear of how its constructed. Not having that fear and being able to design something that you know that you can do, and not be restricted by someone elses say-so I think is powerful, as mentioned Santiago Calatrava who I think is brilliant! I think Im just at a point in my architectural life where just dont know what path I want to follow. I really want to follow both at the same time! However I simply cant. Studio alone kills me time wise to have anything other than a social life, let alone other classes. I know some students here at ASU who are double majoring in structural engineering and architecture and I dont know how they do it. One of them is taking 26 credits this semester. Im stressing out over 14 lol. I guess one degree at a time. Im 21 right now and have plenty of time for both, I shouldnt rush so fast and get burnt out before I leave the gates.

Right now I feel like a train with no brakes. I want to crame so much info in my head that I explode!!! I want to do both, but I know I wont be able too at the same time while in school... There are so many things running through my head at the moment.

I know... Im crazy :)

Anyways... Do you guys think Im doing a wise decision to stick with my masters in architecture, than later on going into engineering? Any other options I should follow?

Thanks again guys for your comments, I always appreciate them!
Nov 16, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Honestly, I think it is wise to at least give yourself the option of becoming a licensed architect someday, which means doing the MArch.

(For anyone who might be reading this thread who hasn't yet committed to an architecture school, Amoroso's dilemma reinforces again to me how great a five-year BArch is - it gives you the option to do whatever you might desire for grad school, while still becoming licensed eventually. Back to topic.)

Amoroso, you should check out Guy Nordenson - he is a structural engineer who works with architects very collaboratively and has a huge impact on the design of the building through his ability to understand both sides - fabulous work.

Nov 16, 06 8:46 am  · 
 · 
guppy

Amoroso

Jesus Christ you're only 21? Do both....not at the same time necessarily but....a professional degree in both architecture and SE is a killer killer combination and you will be extremely valuable to a lot of people including yourself. If you have the drive (sounds like you do) and the mathematical acuity (guess you do) go for it. Six years of additional education is equivalent to pursuing a PhD in other fields and is less than what you would need for med school, for example. I was in PhD school in another field entirely (philosophy) and left to get an MArch (long story), but all in all I spent around six years in school post undergrad and have never regretted it. You'll have a bunch of student loans, but it's worth it. Unless you can't live without the floating, unsure, hungover social existence (a la "Friends") that is the life of your average twentysomething, spending several years after college in school is a fantastic, if not always enjoyable, way to spend your time. Professional registration will work itself out (note: professional registration does not equal quality of work). Good luck.

Nov 16, 06 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: