Archinect
anchor

Diagrams of Architecture book, anyone?

cipyboy

just bought the book 'Diagrams of Architecture' by Mark Garcia from Amazon. I understand that the topic dug deeper into the history and development of the architectural diagram, I am not sure whether at this point in time (already worked for yrs) , this would improve any aspect of my career and point of view...

Im still in the middle of the book and would love to hear the thoughts of those who read it... otherwise, id just return this and get something else.. I have been looking for online reviews but to no avail as well...

May 2, 12 10:17 pm
drums please, Fab?

is Doug Graf in there?!?

May 2, 12 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

.. i dont think so...

May 3, 12 7:48 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

oh i don't really like these AD quasi-books. somehow, i feel there is an overestimating optimism in delivering some theme or the other...and eventually, it pans out to be very life unchanging. and AD books always come way after the fact and seem to present the presented rhetoric as being very present...whereas its quite passe'.

i haven't read this particular book of course..but an AD book on diagrams sounds to me like a retro rehashing of a now-commonplace topic. really, in essence, i think diagrams are mute and mutable things that can are best practiced and perceived...not as much discussed. its quite possible that diagramming has been more discussed than practiced, no?

May 3, 12 8:28 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Doug Graf should definitely be there haha! Love that guy!

May 3, 12 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

looking at the brighter side, one has to know diagrams in-depth, hoping that his representational skills of the idea/parti would be better. bye bye $44 bucks

May 3, 12 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

one cannot know diagrams in-depth without one knowing the one and only Doug Graf

May 8, 12 12:49 am  · 
 · 

can somebody who owns the book produce a parti diagram of it?

May 8, 12 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

not sure if you're looking for other book recommendations but in case you are, you should definitely check out Precedents in Architecture. very clear simple diagrams.

http://www.amazon.com/Precedents-Architecture-Analytic-Diagrams-Formative/dp/0470946741/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336521619&sr=8-1

May 8, 12 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

but why? why buy a book specifically on diagrams? if you understand the principle of diagrams, take a nice building's plans, sections and so on..analyze it diagramatically yourself. you will gain much more this way.  if i were to recommend a book on how diagrams are used...rather than fetishized...perhaps, i'd cite the geoffrey baker books. this method, however, can be rather too pedantic and too counter intuitive...but the focus is on analysis of a completed design so it is expected to run counter-design. still, there is clarity in the method and in the place of the diagram.

May 9, 12 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
dionysus

I was just starting to watch the lecture from some of the contributors of the book:

http://www.aaschool.ac.uk//VIDEO/lecture.php?ID=1204

Maybe that will give you some more to think about?

May 9, 12 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I actually watched this before getting the book. The lecture is really substantial and informative. the book however, well; i just added to my shelf a much needed compendium of theoretical essays about the diagram. i just thought these authors are like '' ok lets publish a book and make theories about everything.. how about the toilet bowl? the measuring tape?

May 11, 12 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: