Archinect
anchor

Antoine Predock Lecture

athenaeum

Antoine Predock spoke in Omaha tonight. I'm wondering if it is typical for him to talk mostly about motorcycles, his failed marriage due to an over commitment to architecture, etc.

It was a good lecture, he just seemed exceptionally nostalgic.

Nov 2, 06 10:49 pm
vado retro

yeah prawn you like motorcycles and clay and rollerblading we get it...

Nov 2, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
MUUM79

i saw him lecture maybe five years ago, and i do remember the talk of motorcycles coming up, and also an image of him skiing off the roof of one of his buldings.

Nov 2, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
tman

just saw him at columbia, he's still showing the same slides

Nov 2, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
SuperWonder

He likes grandkids too.

And windows are called aperatures. Woo boy.

Nov 3, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ick. i don't like it when they get personal that way. its like sexual harassment. which is fine if you want it. there is something sleazy about dragging in your pet hobbies, ie ' am i not a human, do i not feel, do i not bleed'. but we know.... play me a song then,

Nov 3, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Frit

I saw the skiing slide in '97.

Nov 3, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
jjh

since we are bashing on AP - don't dare mention 'water feature' in his presence. i guess am still bitter that i had to pick-up his roller blades at the skate shop.

Nov 3, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

we went to his studio the first semester i was a grad at unm, one of the undergrads working for him was asked to get him a banana. what a crapup. that said, he is a great architect.

Nov 3, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Shit, I saw the skiing off the townhouse roof at Taos in a lecture in Vancouver in 1988 ....... time to update the images Antoine.

Nov 3, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

Okay... I hadn't seen this before so i had to look it up.

Apparantly there are two skiing images.... one from 1986 and one from 2006

Nov 3, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

There was a moment in his lecture that he was reminiscing about his friends back in the day. He lauded Lawrence Halprin's wife and JB Jackson as his mentors. Then asked the audience - about 250 conservative looking, all male architects - if they were familiar with JB's writing. Myself, a landscape architect, and two others raised their hands. He then said "get on it people. that is some of the most influential landscape writing ever!"

He talked about JB Jackson commuting between his teaching jobs at Harvard and Berkeley on his motorcycle.

Despite the very odd personal nostalgia of the presentation, that man does have a phenomenal command of landscape. That part was nice.

Nov 3, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I went to his lecture at the National Building Museum earlier this year. I seem to recall him talking mostly about his projects. He also complimented his staff a lot, which was admirable. He even acknowledged his staff members who were in the audience.

I bought a copy of his old book, which the NBM was apparently trying to unload by the boxful.

Nov 3, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yes that is typical.

Nov 3, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Mr. Predock is well know in the alien studies community and is considered an expert in the field. He himself has been abducted by a race of greys. Many of his buildings are shaped to communicate with the alien races, in fact. He is happy to talk about this in his lectures--please ask if he doesn't offer to discuss it himself. You are sure to have your eyes opened if you are not familiar with the issues.

Nov 4, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

during his lecture the pa was giving weird feedback. when the tech team tried to fix it, predock requested that it not be fixed. he liked the 'sound of the aliens communicating with him.' seriously, i'm not kidding.

and i thought those wrap around glasses were the result of a typical architect's trip to the optometrist......

Nov 5, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

let all the antoines boogie

Nov 5, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

We had him lecture at NYIT Manhattan in the fall of 04. I kind of liked him he actually came off like a human being, whereas most of the lectures i go to up at Columbia they all seem like various forms of undead. I don't rember anything about alien abductions though, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Nov 5, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: