Archinect
anchor

anyone export a sketch up model to form z?

chaptertwo

im about to and was wondering if anyone has any tips or warnings?

Oct 31, 06 10:35 pm
your_momma7911

Wow, some other poor sap using formZ. I spent the past year of my life mastering the art of formZ only to turn down several jobs because my AutoCAD was piss poor and lacking at best.

Sorry for the bitter spitting and hissing there. Anyway, I've never personally gone from sketchup to formZ because I find it's just as easy to get formZ to do the same thing as sketchup. If you Change your selections from Whole objects to faces or lines or points it opperates pretty much the same.

I'd like to hear how it goes. The way I understand the two programs is that Sketchup operates as a series of faces while formZ operates as a series of solids and voids. I'd be interested to see if formZ converts the faces into solids or if they remain as faces.

Nov 1, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
trace™

FormZ is a far superior modeling program (still the best for arch I've used).

FormZ models in both solids and surfaces, Sketch only in surfaces (I believe). Normals, as always, is what's gonna screw things up.

Check out www.pushpullbar.com for the sketchup gurus.

Nov 1, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

yeah. i realize how bad sketch up sucks and is probably a big step backwards for 3D modeling, however, i decided i should become familar with it for my own good. When i saw that Google took it over and is now offering it to the general public for free, i figured I should at least be able to use it better than them. I have done an entire model in it, and I am now panning to actually see it rendered. Im sick of this cartoon shit.

Nov 1, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
yakyak

I've seen lots of small firms getting into sketch-up because it's free. My boss derided me for using Rhino instead of Sketch-Up which is "better because we didn't have to pay for it" He's actually trying to make people miagrate from Microstation and Rhino to Sketch-Up.
I gotta get a new job, quickly.

Nov 1, 06 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: