Archinect
anchor

Green Architecture site looking for help...writers? Information?

nRyArch

Hello. I just started a new website called www.greenarchitectureproducts.com and I have a database I am starting that will list architects who specialize in green design. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

Also can you all please let me know what you think of the site or ways I can improve it?

It would be great if some of you are really interested in green architecture and would like to submit information to me to post to the site. Either on a one time basis or once a week or month. Let me know what you think or if your interested. Thanks!

Oct 30, 06 9:55 am
Schnurrbart

Great idea - hope to see your site grow...

Just a personal thing, but one might get tired of the background image really quickly - it is a little busy, perhaps.

Oct 30, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Thanks for the advice Schnurrbart. Do you think a different background image would look better or just no image at all. If anyone out there has website experience I would really appriciate the help. I made the site with a template so I limited to that right now. It does have a lot of options though.

Oct 30, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

nice post about tidal/wave energy. I'll second that comment about the bg image. If it's ghosted out to about 20%, maybe it will be unobtrusive enough... Also, figure out how to justify your text into a narrower column next to the images- those long lines are very out of balance.

Oct 30, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

oh, on the about us, please include who you are, why you are passionate about being green and some other professional qualifications. otherwise you come across as a dabbling journalist - and us architects will ignore the site.

Oct 30, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

Try treekiller's advice first, and if it still seems too obtrusive, perhaps just omit it. And I second the "about Us" comment. Don't be shy.

Oct 30, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Treekiller...

I work for a large architecture firm in Boston. I have been working in the field for the last 8 years and I am currently attending the Boston Architectural College to finish my architecture degree so I can become licensed.

I am very interested in green design since I think and know it is the way of the future. People are more and more being forced or choosing to build green. Eventually it is just going to be common practice.

I attend any kind of meetings and workshops I can about green architecture and I have worked for various firms that specialize in it. I am constantly researching green architecture to become more informed.

Oct 30, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I was asked at an interview few weeks ago, how I became interested in sustainable design... After much soul searching, I've realized that The Lorax changed my life.

With a website like your's, it's all about authenticity and passion. Blaine Brownell has done a great job with Transmaterial, but there are dozens of sites that come across as crassly commercial pitches with no soul. Find your soul and display it proudly.

Good luck with life at the BAC.

Oct 30, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Thanks for your info. I will look into seeing if those kind of changes would help the site. Also, I will check out that site Transmaterial. Thanks!

Oct 30, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

nRy,

It's a great start and I'll be looking forward to visiting often as it continues to grow.

I'd interested in contributing some information and may even be interested in contributing regularly as long as I'd be able to retain full rights to my own work. I also notcied that you have banner ads so I'm curious as to whether you're trying to run this as a profit-generating enterprise, or if you're just using the proceeds to offset the expenses of maintaining the site?

My comments:

- I agree with previous comments about the background image being too much. It would be fine to do away with the image altogether and just use a nice background color.
- As the product listings grow you will need to add search and sorting tools or else it will become completely useless. Perhaps the main page could feature the new products added that week and you could have a sidebar with categories like flooring, lighting, insulation, furniture, etc.

Oct 30, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

bryan4arch,

Thanks for the response. That would be great if you want to contribute to the site. I think that is a great idea about making sub categories for the green products.

If you want to contribute anything please do so...and of course you would get full credit and retain full rights to it.

For now I am just using any money that the ads might eventually generate to offset the cost of hosting and other expenses. Not that the site has generated any revenue so far since it is so new.

Please let me know what you are thinking about contributing.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

You might also think of signing up as an Amazon affiliate and posting relevant publications - that can become a nice source of income as well.

Oct 30, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch
www.GreenArchitectureProducts.com

is a new website which is dedicated to information on sustainable architecture.

We are taking a poll:

If people could help by answering the following questions it would be appreciated a lot:

1.) What interests you about sustainable architecture?

2.) What would you like to see from us?

3.) We are also asking people to submit ideas for a new name for the site. Something like www.archigreen.com or something similar. That name is already taken though.

We want to actually not just specialize in architectural products but anything to do with sustainable architecture.

Thanks from,

GreenArchitectureProducts.com

Nov 1, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Wow, I found this old post I started in 2006. Then I decided to start this blog back up. Here is the new address if anyone is interested: http://www.archgaea.com/

Jun 9, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: