Archinect
anchor

What they say, What they mean

abracadabra

In job ads;

Architecture Degree. = so you don't think this is a computer tech job

Knowledge of building codes. = so you don't think firm does bad work but they have to answer to a higher authority.

Excellent presentation skills. = wear a nice button up shirts with pleated pants like the job captain does and know which lower corner the firm's decals are pasted.

Excellent communication and organizational skills. = keep your desk clean, know how to fill blueprint orders and don't hesitate to laugh every bad joke your boss makes.

Knowledge of multiple operating systems and common business and CAD applications. = just don't ask anybody how to do a save in firm's data base and know how to type the christmas card addresses in word.

Ability to multitask. = answering the phones.

Good graphic and design skills a plus. = plus but not necessary because thats not they need you for.

go ahead add more.

Oct 28, 06 11:12 am
Katze

We are looking for a high energy, full-time, entry level person = we are going to work your butt off and ask you to do everything no one else wants to do...

Oct 28, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

great subject abra! are you looking to get a 9-5???

registration required = we don't want to take the time to train you, but expect 24 hr a day slavery from the get go.

award winning firm = we got brick of the year and CMU style awards, so we're cool, also may mean 'we do blobs or what-ever trend du jour is'

self starter = we don't care enough and are too cheap to provide sufficient managment to run projects so you'll be floundering with no directions and be dealing with lots of last minute crises that would have been averted if we did our jobs too.

work in a team environment = no, you won't have any influence on the project, all you can expect is to chase after redlines and jump when the job captain says 'jump'.

Healthcare market = you'll need to be hospitalized for bordom.

casual environment = no shirt and tie expected, but if you show up with your tats on display, then we'll get upset.

Oct 28, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
snooker

The Office Standard, is there is no Standard.

Oct 28, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

haha. treekiller.
its tight around, but been there before.

my dream job if ever though, to be a receptionist in a famous firm that all i do is answer the phone and keep the bosses stuff and drugs secret from the underlings.
thus;
confidentiality a must.

Oct 28, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Blue202

Maya and/or other 3D modelling experience required = the people in charge have don't even know how to turn a computer on, so you'll have to model anything the lead designer scribbles onto a sheet of trace paper.

Oct 28, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Maya and/or other 3D modelling experience required = make my shitty designs look dynamic and publishable in Progressive Bumfuck Design Magazine.

Oct 28, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Ability to multitask. = answering the phones, taking out the trash, picking up starbucks in the morning and again around 3pm, taking the company dogs for a walk, typing up meeting minutes.

Oct 28, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Blue202

Work on award-winning projects = we aren't going to pay you. and you should be eternally thankful to us for even talking to you.

competitve salary = we aren't going to pay you

architect needed = we aren't going to pay you

Oct 28, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Yeah, AP, and who said anyone signed up to be a secretary/personal assistant? If that is what an employer is looking for, then they need to come out and ask for it. I once accepted a job with a reputable large company with the tile of "Marketing Manager". After I started the job, the owner's wife thought that she could utilize me as her personal assistant to run errands and balance her check book. WTF? Anyone else experience something similar?

Oct 29, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 

licensed architect needed = we don't feel like paying for your exams, OR the boss is an unlicensed designer who will mooch off of your credentials

Oct 29, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

designer needed = maybe we can pay them less and make them feel better about that if we give them this meaningless title

Oct 29, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

fresh off the job board:

student intern = we're going to honestly tell you you're not going to make any money and work all the time on whatever whimsy we decide to throw at you.

good idea abra, love it

Oct 29, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: