Archinect
anchor

Shack on a Hot Tin Roof

dia

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has a primer for designing/constructing a dwelling on a rooftop - ie, an existing, urban, skyscraperesque rooftop. Aside from how one would purchase or lease the space on the rooftop, how does one tap into services, get entry, prevent small children falling off the side, etc, etc.

Anyone here done this before? Any examples?

I'm sure it is common in American and European cities. Not so common in NZ - the land of the 1/4 acre section///

Oct 26, 06 10:23 pm
alicat

I remember something similar to this, with a temporary "pod/blob" dwelling for rooftop spaces. It may of even been on archiect. I will check my bookmarks. Not necessarily a primer, but a precedent perhaps.

Oct 27, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
alicat

Mr D.

Still looking for it, my filing is crazy.

However there is this book: Rooftop architecture by Eric Vreedenburgh....

the things you find.....

Oct 27, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
interstitial

alicat,

I believe your looking for the pod designed by Werner Aisslinger LoftCube

Sorry cannot speak to the more reality based quetions of lease and access for utilities but you also might want to check out some rooftop additions that have been going on in Vienna over the last five-ten years. Anyone else out there can give him some specific examples.

Ahh just remembered another exampe not my favorite, but the Urban Glass House, at the main flash site it is located under theoretical works.

Oct 27, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thanks guys. I have seen the loft cube project. And projects by Lo-tek. I'll check out that book if I can.

There was an example in Melbourne CBD which I thought was done by Wood Marsh, but thats not so. It was'nt really in the 'prefab' realm.

I remember that there was an ex-pat NZ'er architect in London almost completely specializing in roof top dwellings, but can't remember his name...

Oct 27, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I recall this addition on top of a Townhouse in Boston's Back Bay, near the Boston Architectural Center. I always found it exciting cause it said piss on you Brown Stones....I want to be me!

Oct 27, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: