Archinect
anchor

AMD vs. Intel dual processors

thenewold

I'm trying to buy a computer on the (really) cheap. For the processor, I'm going for a dual-processor version and I'm wondering if anyone can speak to Intel dual versus AMD. This is of course for the whole software cocktail (3D, graphic work, cad, etc.) that architecty people use. Any info would be welcome.

Oct 25, 06 11:00 am
Hasselhoff

I have an AMD dual Opteron and it's solid (built before the days of dual core). Dual processor is not cheap. You have to buy a server mother board, and ECC RAM. I haven't done the research on dual core, you may be able to use non-ECC RAM which is about half the price and a 'consumer' mother board.

Oct 25, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 

AMD was better across the board until Intel came out with the Core2 (not to be mistaken with Pentium D dual core) processor. Intel is now taking back some market share from AMD. Core2 and above get Intel. below, get AMD.

Oct 25, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

if your budget is low, go for intel dual core.

i have system similar to hasselhoff, before the days of dual-core, but it still kicks ass of any dual core intel computer

you might want to try the athlon 64 too

Oct 25, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: