Archinect
anchor

AA or Bartlett

Paniz

Anyone from bartlett or AA? I have some questions regarding the MArch....
Thanks

ANdrea

Oct 24, 06 4:10 pm
Erik Schonsett

I'm in the M. Arch at the Bartlett...What do you want to know?

Oct 24, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
TED

heres the answers to the top ten questions regarding AA or Bartlett answered about a dozen times already on archinect.

1] no. neither degree is directly transferable to the US qualifications of NCARB - your on your own there.

2] the March at the bartlett is 12 months and the march at the AA is 18 months. all the master programs at the aa are research degrees. the marchs at the bartlett generally run as design studio based.

3] your best to apply to both if your interested and arrange to come and see the facilities your self perhaps in january

4]if your coming from the states assume little or no scholarship from both schools. they make thier money on foriegn students

5]aa has studios for all grads in a separate building. bartlett has unit spaces in the wates house

6]aa library is great. bartlett library is in someways better if your interested in things beyond buildings because its a full university and connected to a huge network of univeristies

7]aa is 15 min walk to bartlett. bartlett is 15 min walk to aa. aa has a much better lecture circuit but the generally takes off the second term.

8]both schools state school is all year round but instruction occurs during first 2 terms till june and only tutorials occur in the summer months.

9]the laser and cnc is a little dire at the aa [2mm card only on the laser] for a school doing so much digital i dont know whats going on here. bartlett dont know.

10]both schools have work on line -- go and look for yourself.

10a]if money isnt in the mix and you want to do research go to the aa - design studio - then either aa dip or bartlett

Oct 24, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

good on you TED - archinect should probably just make a sticky post for anyone who is going to ask this question again!

Oct 24, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Grad design at the AADRL is both a research and design studio actually. and it's team and studio based.

Oct 25, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i am not so sure that people applying to attend the aa drl program await the topic of their choice to crop up as research material. the 'research' topic is set up by the directors every three or so years, whereas the taught skill-base (the program's techne -digitally based or otherwise) is thematically constant. the 'research' in '. design research lab' is a pedagogically arguable usage of the word. concieved otherwise, aa drl projects are more complicated forms of design-based architectural education with the novelty of actual team play (most programs that stress the significance of team work fail short of delivering more than a socially and academically acceptable cliche).

research takes place either through historical or physical/biochemical connections disclosed ; in a science lab or a library (as a sum of any parts of libraries) . the analogical association that strings design, research and lab is more indicative of a desire to tick off the neo-positivistic post-blobish coutoure box. this is not to undermine the work they do, but rather underlining that through the very usage of that word in this context, the semantic has been rendered ambiguous, perhaps futile.

Oct 25, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
TED

your right!

drl 2006-7 agenda image
the work speaks for itself. -- to hell with this vector /swam shit i say!

Oct 25, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

omg noctilucent that explanation is so highly academic and techno-babble-ish to me! how do you become someone like that who talks so deep? (IMHO)

im very impressed. is it the AA or bartlett education / research influence?

Oct 26, 06 5:38 am  · 
 · 
somearchitect

I've been to the AA as an american student. It is a wonderful experience I would not trade for anything, but boy do you pay the price.

An M. Arch is a different beast in the UK. The intermediate school, or RIBA Part I, is considered equivalent to a BS in Architecture (NOT a B. Arch). The Diploma school, or RIBA Part II, is considered the equivalent of an M. Arch. However, there is NO reciprocity for good reason. The structure of the courses and the material covered is very different.

An M. Arch in the UK is a specialized degree but NOT an equivalent to an M. Arch in the states. I am now doing my M. Arch in the states, and there are a couple of students who did an M. Arch at the AA and are now doing the full three year M. Arch I in the states for this reason.

Lastly, if you are applying to the AA or any other british school, you must pass THEIR RIBA requirements to go on to the next level. Given the reciprocity situation, you can do the math...

My advice: The AA/Bartlett is excellent experience that is unique, especially when combined with an education in the US. But, tread VERY lightly and make wise decisions. You don't want to be stuck with a degree that only works in the mid-atlantic. And, that happnes.

Oct 27, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

AA is the obvious answer

Oct 27, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

alcoholics anonymous?

Oct 28, 06 6:25 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

"You don't want to be stuck with a degree that only works in the mid-atlantic.

if professional qualification is what you aim for, then neither does it work in the mid atlantic. An M.Arch in the UK is a truly postgraduate usually postprofessional degree

Oct 28, 06 7:20 am  · 
 · 
somearchitect

Exactly what I said. I agree, but an M. Arch in the US is NOT the equivalent of an M. Arch in the UK, or vice versa. They are two completely different course of study.

The Diploma, or the closest equivalent of an M. Arch in the UK, will not give you automatic professional qualification in the US. From the people I know who have applied for reciprocity, its a long (years) expensive (thousands $) process of translating drawiungs. Most people dont even bother and find going for a full 3 year m arch easier.

Mid Atlantic was a mistake... sorry, I meant the middle of the atlantic ocean.

Oct 31, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

what if you want to work and live in the UK or europe permanently? would an aa or bartlett degree either part I or Master in Urban Design be very helpful in getting you a foot in the door?

Oct 31, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
TED

obviuosly the answer is yes to the UK assuming what ever your doing is really great -- but also remember its as difficult for a company in uk to get you a visa as in getting it in the US. so the only advantage is that perhaps you can make connections through the school. lets face it. zaha's office is at LEAST 70% from the AAdrl-- in fact its sort of a joke that you pay all your training to the AA [$$$] and she gets all the trainees. i know some folks from last years landscape urb at AA -- looking for a job but nothing yet.

Oct 31, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

you can get your part I and II independently from the ARB/RIBA. TED's right, the AA or the bartlett helps in meeting and talking to people who may potentially employ you, thats about it.

you sure you want to settle in the UK? it isn't all peaches, you know...

Oct 31, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: