Archinect
anchor

light light light

lizok

hello archinectors.

i am on another quest for visual information... this time it is for interior light in showroom/store/similar environments. Anything goes.

this time I will refrain from any qualitative descriptives, as last time they seemed to raise too many objections.

xL

Oct 24, 06 8:45 am
some person

A few years ago, I picked up Designing with Light - Retail Spaces: Lighting soutions for shops, malls and markets by Janet Turner. Not only does it give some lighting basics, but it also has case studies.

I purchased it for $7.98.

Oct 24, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

i gotta figure out what kind of lighting to use in my new kitchen. recessed cans? undercabinet low voltage? tracks? too many choices. maybe i'll just find some slick surface mounts and call it done. i can always string white christmas lights below the cabinets if it's too shadowy.

anything will be better than the two-tube fluorescent strips up in the ceiling now.

Oct 26, 06 7:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, we decided against under cab lighting for this remodel and it was a mistake. Did recessed cans for general lighting and these cool little low voltage retro-looking monopoint heads for lighting art. All looks good with the exception of the undercab lighting - I really should have used it.

Oct 26, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And to be on topic - I'm so sorry, lizok, but I'm not sure what you are asking for?! I'll tell you I'm in love with Bruck track lately, they have a framing projector that can perfectly frame a piece of art, available in both rectangular and round options, if you need to really highlight something.

Oct 26, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Steven, there are two basic solutions to undercabinet lighting (that I would find acceptable). One would be a xenon bulb fixture such as one from Lucifer Lighting. The other option would be a low-voltage puck light. I typically like to recess them into the underside of the cabinet, but it requires a double-bottom cabinet design to hide wires and give you the space to recess (and provide some sort of vent for the fixture which gets pretty hot).

I typically like to use the puck lights (we are currently spec'ing the Prima puck light) because if your counter is dark and/or reflective in any way, I hate to see the "Christmas tree" light reflection that you get with the Lucifer. But, the Lucifer does provide a more continuous light, so if your counter/backsplash is not reflective (or you don't care about the reflection) then the Lucifer might be the way to go.

Good luck.

Oct 27, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: