Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Japhy

Laurilan: I live in NJ and was thinking of taking an unofficial tour of Pratt sometime next week or the week after. Although I've been there a few times before, I've never actually visited the architecture department....

Apr 12, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

kalyani - are you going to pratt or still thinking about it? i'm going to try and come up that last weekend in april.

Apr 12, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'd heard that sort of thing about UCLA undergrad, but I assumed that any grad school would have enough spots in its classes for all admitted students. That's ricockulous if that's true.

I also got information about what classes were required for me with my acceptance to Pratt.

I'm getting really excited about Seattle again!!!! I found a nice neighborhood that a lot of grad students live in as well as younger professionals, that's only one neighborhood over from UW, and is said to be a nice quiet place for those who are over the frat-party scene. And the ads on craigslist display cute houses filled with environmentally friendly people. That makes me happy. : )

Apr 12, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i'm happy for you guys knowing where you're going next year!

i can't wait to be in that same posisiton.

Apr 12, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you arent safe....

Apr 12, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

laurilan: i'm still thinking about pratt. i want to visit again and see how much financial assistance they give me first. all i've gotten from them so far is an email acceptance (my hard copy is supposedly on its way and they told me that my award package is going to be emailed to me "sometime next week.") if you're going to be visiting the last weekend in april then perhaps we could meet up?

rationalist: i think you're going to love seattle. i lived up there for a while and thought the area was gorgeous! not sure how familiar you are with the area, but you should definitely make a point to take the ferry over to vashon island for the day.....the town is small but very cute and they have a great farmer's market on the weekends.

Apr 12, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

cool. I was thinking about living in the wallinford, greenlake, or fremont area, are you familiar with them?

Pratt still claims that my aid package is viewable online. It most definitely is not. I log in, it says "There are no awards packages available for you to view at this time." Pratt's on crack.

Apr 12, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

meeting up sounds good to me. i'll let you know more when i know more (when pratt gets back to me...). do you have a pre-prof arch background?

Apr 12, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

have you considered the ballard area? easily accessible to the U-Dub campus and pretty hip from my recollection.

my band used to play a joint there when we passed through town and, perhaps some seattlites can confirm or correct, but i got the impression it was the silverlake of seattle.

Apr 12, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Rationalist, what classes did they tell you were required?

laurilan did your friend apply for advance placement?

kalyani and laurilan keep us posted about a possible trip to Pratt. I was also hoping on visting the last weekend in April, if so, maybe we can all meet up and exchange notes.

Apr 12, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Ballard seems a little far for me. I'll just have a scooter, and I'd like to have a really quick commute. I'll look at some listings to see if maybe the maps are off a little, but I doubt that it's close enough for me.

alfrejas- remember that I'm not in architecture for this go-round. I got told that I was "admitted for a 48 credit program of study", which for the MS Communication Design meant that I had been waived of all pre-requisites (yay! nice to hear after the lists some other schools threw at me).

Apr 12, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

alfrejas - if i remember correctly, there wasn't a difference when applying - everyone went for march1 or march2 (post-prof).

this is what he told me:

The advanced placement put me into the second year instead of first year, so I only have 2 years here. When I was accepted, it said in my letter. However, there is a guy from OSU that was accepted here as well, (he has been emailing me almost the same questions that you are asking) and he is also asking me about the advanced standing. I would assume that you guys would get advanced standing with your B.S. Arch degree, so I am wondering if they have changed the admissions process?? You should call the school and talk to them. Ask for Erin Murphy or Rebecca Hernandez, they usually know what’s up.

Apr 12, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

my bad...forgot.

By the way I love the Freemont area. My only problem with Seattle is the everyone goes out so early. Last time a visited we were at the bars by 8:30 and it was still daylight outside. That just doesn't work for me. I tend to look better in the dark.

Apr 12, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

laurilan: i have a non-arch background.....got my bfa in industrial design across the river at parsons. how about you?

rationalist: yes, that website appears to be absolute crap.....why even bother having one if it doesn't work. as far as neighborhoods in seattle go, i only lived up in the area (on vashon island actually) for a few months (i was doing an americorps program). so even though i became pretty familiar with the city through frequent trips, i never fully learned all of the neighborhood names. i do, however, have a good friend who grew up there and lives there now who might be able to share some valuable information.....she's also a photographer so she might be able to connect you with some design people.

Apr 12, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

kalyani - i have my pre-prof. degree in arch from gatech and i've been working at a couple different firms since i've graduated.

Apr 12, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

This was on the second page!!!! I guess this thread has entered the twilight of its life.

Anyone have any more decisions? I sent out all my rejections last night....I felt bad. But in other news, I got my financial aid information, and I am cleared for all the loans I need, so that is a huge weight off my chest.

Does anyone know if you are applying for a loan, will they call your employer to check on you or do they just look at your credit report?

Apr 13, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 

For PLUS loans, they should just need your credit report.

Apr 13, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Yeah, I think this thread has just about served its purpose.

Man, I hope UT grants the deferral I requested. I hope I haven't pissed them off. I e-mailed the request two days ago and called the guy today. I don't know why it's bothering me so much. Something about asking for the deferral just seems unnatural/wrong. I feel like I should be going to school this year.

I need to win the lottery.

Apr 13, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 

I just can't let this thread go. It's become an addiction. Plus I'm still nervous about all this life changing-ness and know that you guys understand.

Apr 13, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

It will be a sad day when we have to say goodbye.

I love you guys.

Apr 13, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

By the way, I placed the ad to sell www.capandtrade.com Ad cost me $4500. It better sell for some bucks.

All or nothing.

Apr 13, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

BTW, I will be updating the website over the next few days.

You guys should get a kick out of the logo I designed, especially since I've had no training in graphic design. Rationalist will probably cringe over the kerning.

Apr 13, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

Holy crap! The ad cost $4500!!!!

Apr 13, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah, I am addicted to this thread too but I am now wondering if many of our friends only stopped in when they were applying and now they are going to abandon us again!

*sad*

Apr 13, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I might even abandon us soon, at least on this thread. We need a new one.

Besides, I sort of thought everyone but me already knew each other. Were there actually new friends made on this thread?

Apr 13, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I got a roommate off of it. Sweet. But besides rationalist, namby and myself, I didn't/don't know anyone on here.

Someone should start a "where are you going to grad school?" thread. I nominate you.

Apr 13, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

definitely! I only knew WonderK from before. And we actually became much closer through commiseration.

Apr 13, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Wait. I'll start a new thread, but I think we ought to give it a name that will live forever.

How about "commisery thread friends forever" or "commisery thread friends planning on getting naked together soon"?

Apr 13, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I like that last one.

Apr 13, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I knew you would.

Apr 13, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well?

Apr 13, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Catcow

Finally heard back from Ohio State, by checking my status on their website:

"Status: Your application for admission was not approved. You will be informed of the decision by mail."

Oh well, I was never a real Buckeyes fan in the first place.

So, now with 90% of precincts reporting:

IIT: Accepted
OSU: Declined
MiamiOH: Waitlisted
UC: Waitlisted
UIC: Waiting for Decision (I'll give them 10%)

Hopefully UC or UIC gives me a heads-up within the next week.

Apr 13, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

....not dead yet.

Well, this was unexpected. I e-jected CMU last night, and like rationalist, I mentioned why I wasn't able to consider attending - for me, it was financial (it was more than that but this was the first consideration). I received this response:

Dear WonderK

Thank you for your email. We regret to hear that you will not be joining our program.

I want to bring to your attention that the Graduate Program Committee just met and decided to offer a tuition grant of $8900.00 for the academic year, covering Fall and Spring semesters.

Summer semester support may be considered separately in due course, depending on the student's academic performance and number of units to be taken in the summer.

Perhaps you may wish to re-consider your decision in the light of this offer. Please let me know.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

Khee Poh Lam
Professor of Architecture and Director of Graduate Program
School of Architecture

eeeek. That's pretty damn good. Oh well.

Apr 13, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

does that cover the full cost of tuition? certainly not, right? It seems like CMU would be way more than that.

What are you going to do now?

Apr 13, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Doesn't come close to covering tuition. USC is still giving me way more. Plus I like the program there. Do you think I should mention that my research goals changed when I write them back to e-ject them again?

Apr 13, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Stupid question, but what is CMU?

Oh, nevermind. Carnegie-Mellon.

They actually have a really good MSSD or something, don't they?

Apr 13, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

I would just say "While I thank you for the generous offer, I am still firm in my choice to attend USC."

And that's not just because I want to welcome you to the Trojan family.

Apr 13, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Do you think I should tell them where I am going? Is that kosher?

Apr 13, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

oh, I didn't realize you hadn't already. All of the rejection cards I filled out asked where I had decided to attend. They want to know who their competition is. But if you haven't mentioned it, then it's fine to go on with the anonymity.

Apr 13, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

it might seem like abandoned ship...but i have been checking in on you allssssss.....i'm def down for a L.A. meet up...let's DO IT!

Apr 13, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

when abouts will you be settled?

Apr 13, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

cool. Just making sure that if I have to go to WA early, I'll still get to spend some time with the new LA transplants.

Apr 13, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

So i officially accepted at UCLA last night... i am so excited

Apr 14, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
+i

just got back from a visit to cmu...
um, i wasnt that impressed... in fact it was kind of disappointing.

and now i feel completely justified and excited with my decision to go to UVA : )

Apr 14, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well that's good. When I visited CMU, I thought that the Intelligent Workplace was pretty cool but the rest of the facilities were kind of blah.....I saw some of the classrooms that I would be working in and it reminded me of high school. This program was my first choice for a while but in the end I found that I wanted more. I would still consider them for my PhD but I'm not necessarily sure that I'm going to go in that direction.

Anyway, I'm happy for you and me, +i :o)

Apr 14, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
+i

yes- rock on WonderK...

i'm looking towards the West Coast for my PhD now...

i am biting my lip not being near the beach for so long

Apr 14, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Well that makes the decision a lot easier, when you discover the 'dream' school isn't that dreamy after all! I'm glad you feel comfortable with your choice now.

Apr 14, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

so, i've decided to reject my only acceptance. sorry pratt, but it's just not going to work out. i called and asked them about advanced placement - no go on that. if i wasn't offered it in my acceptance letter, not going to happen.

so, i'll be waiting it out for a little bit longer. i'm starting to create my backup plan if i don't hear anything from my waitlist schools.

i'm sad to see this thread slowly fading.

+i, i'm glad you're happy with your decision!

Apr 16, 07 8:16 am  · 
 · 
+i

good luck with waitlists, laurilan! + thanks for the support!

Apr 16, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 

laurilan- check out my latest entry on "PRATT IS WACK", and you'll feel even better about that decision!

Apr 16, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: