Archinect
anchor

Demographics in relation to architecture

loac

I have to give a presentation on the subject of demographics and how it affects Architecture, which is a great subject, however I can't find any good info on this in either the local library, or on the internet.

When I Google for Architecture and Demographics I get a lot of nothing. At the library I ended up manually browsing through the Arch section with few results.

Are there any good projects you know of that are age, gender or income- specific?

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Oct 23, 06 6:53 pm
hobbitte

I would narrow it down to something more specific. There are gazillions of books on gender and architecture, especially on women, race, semiotics, icons, etc. You could also narrow it down to one city, compare two or more over time/space. Think about what interests you about 'demographics w.r.t architecture' other than it being an intriguing subject. Google works best if you are very specific about what you are looking for...

Oct 23, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
anarchitech

what do you mean exactly by "demographics"- who are you really looking at?

Personally, if I were to do a report on demographics and architecture, I would think about The User- target demographics of a building, or a brand or of a specific client- mainly looking at Who you are designing for. I mean, you wouldn't design the W Hotel the same way as The Four Season's, or the same as a Best Western, right? So, how as an architect would you be sensitive or go about understanding your target demographic for such a design?

Oct 23, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
loac

I am part of a group project that are looking at the different "real world" things that affect architecture. I have been assigned demographics.

I interepret that as how you would design for elderly people as opposed to youngsters, or men instead of women. I thought it would be interesting to use a few buildings as case studies. Maybe an "assisted living" compared to a place for wayward youth.

I just don't know of any good examples.

Oct 23, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
STC

I think it'll difficult to find resources that deal with Building vs. Demographic, but I think you can find plenty of stuff that deals with Built-Environment vs. Demographics. If you do a little research on these Built-environments, maybe you can identify some common/recurring bulding types and use. Just to recommend couple of people who deals with these stuff... Joel Kotkin and William J. Mitchell. These guys usually don't talk about particular buildings, but they do have interesting insights to the built-environment and trends.

Oct 24, 06 12:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: