Archinect
anchor

Illustrator Question

Hasselhoff

Does anyone know how to make a gradient line in AI? I'm making an HVAC diagram and want to show cool to warm using blue to red. Ideas? Dumb question.

Oct 13, 06 1:56 pm
Hasselhoff

Cancel that. Got it

Oct 13, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

sweet, now i can hijack your thread...thanks Hass.

i'm still having trouble getting illustrator 10 to properly align the printable area with my epson r1800 printer. everything in document setup, print setup, and page setup says that i should be able to make a borderless (full-bleed) print on a 12x12 sheet of paper, but my artwork still shows the horizontal dashed line indicating that the top 1" of my artwork is outside of the printable area. i've even tried reinstalling the printer driver, to no avail.

i am officially flummoxed. anyone have a suggestion?

Oct 13, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

broccolijet - have you tried printing it to a pdf file first to make sure its set up to what you want?

Oct 14, 06 12:32 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

no i haven't...i'll give that a shot.

btw, the only way i've converted to PDF in the past is to save it as a PDF. is this what you're recommending? or are you recommending something i should do through the print function? sorry if this is a dumb question.

Oct 14, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

you can print to the pdf software, just select adobe acrobat as your printing device. doing it this way will create a 'flatter' and smaller file then just saving as pdf.

first, if it's a really complex drawing, rasterize together all the layers of images/transparencies (don't use the flatten command) - this will simplify the file and reduce printing time.

good luck.

Oct 14, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

thanks folks...printing to a pdf did the trick. i still can't figure out why i need the workaround, but oh well.

Oct 14, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

Hasselhoff,

I am trying to figure out how to make a line a gradient as well, haven't been able to get it, it always makes it the fill. Do you mind telling me how you did it?

Thanks!

Oct 30, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

nevermind, figured it out! hah

Oct 30, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

right...object>path>outline stroke

Oct 31, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

This is driving me completely batty. Someone help.

Have you ever used the "view" in Illustrator where you can have all of your vector lines highlight when you move your cursor over them, kind of like in AutoCAD 2006? If I remember correctly, it even says what it is your cursor is sitting on, like "point" or "line"?

I swear I've used this view before. And no it's not "snap to point", that only works when you are drawing a line. Anyway, I cannot locate it in the drop down menus ANYWHERE. What is this thing called?

Mar 8, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

smart guides: command + U

Mar 8, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

e, you're a genius. Thank you.

Gosh, I'm handing a lot of these out today. :o)

Mar 8, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

aw shucks, thanks dub K.

we are all geniuses and idiots. it just depends on the task at hand.

Mar 8, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

jack of all trades, master of none?

Mar 8, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: