Archinect
anchor

Thank God for Mental Illness

toasteroven

guy horton in arch daily:

Now that it is common knowledge that many architects are crazy or dysfunctional “geniuses” I think it’s time to reconsider this paradigm and to possibly overturn it. This image has become so romanticized that it has crossed the line of cliché. When something becomes a paradigm, is canonized, or institutionalized, it needs to be challenged.

I don't know about the genius part... well... I guess if it's a parenthetical then it's more an accusation than statement of fact.

I also want to know which "prominent figure in the profession stated that the pursuit of architecture is not intended to be compatible with or supportive of good mental health."

Apr 29, 11 11:08 am
Rusty!

Nothing wrong with schizophrenia. 

Apr 29, 11 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Yes there is!

Apr 29, 11 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

No there isn't. Shuddup!

Apr 29, 11 11:20 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Well....true mental illness is not something to be thankful for. I realize the comment was a cute attempt at humor....(Not yours Rusty), but having a wife that suffers (and it truely is suffering) from Bi-Polar disorder, depression, etc..gives a different perspective to light hearted mental illness references.

It appears to be cool in Hollywood now to be Bi-Polar...(for a weekend when your driver is late picking you up for a party..)

Perhaps I am taking this too seriously, but holding my wife in the emergency room, when all she wants to do is die to stop the pain, is much different than....never mind, I am probably reading too much into this...sorry.

Apr 29, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Teli....amen to that!  I read thru the article and it sounded more like fanticful retoric than true journalism.  I have also seen the rapture of mental illness. It is not to be taken lightly, it is a serious infliction, but with the help of modern day medicine, and a better undestanding of mental health issues more people can lead a pretty normal life. 

Apr 30, 11 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

practically all of the archdaily articles are bad like this

Apr 30, 11 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: