cj w.

that has been out for quite some time already

Oct 10, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

nice link though, shr. thanks.

Oct 10, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

It looks just like several of her other projects, only vertical. This is where I insert some really strange sound to illustrate how unfortunate something is but no one can hear me here....

Oct 10, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
jsml

zaha building have still managed to refrain from the starchitect cookie cutter projects though (ahem... libeskind).. maybe i am biased though

Oct 11, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
albob

A few images I found on the net showing the surroundings. I like the way these aren't the tallest, in Dubai they have a habit of ruining a building by stretching it beyond belief (ie, burj dubai which was a beautiful building before but they went too far)
Click on the images for the fullsize renders.

Oct 12, 06 5:30 am  · 
 · 
albob

Some of those renders make it look like ice city when we know it's the complete opposite in reality :D

Oct 12, 06 5:32 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

this was a result of a competition launched by a major property developer in dubai to be the centerpiece project in a canal-inspired development in dubai - business bay.

personally i feel it is not "zaha"-enough... it felt static on the contrary! i hadnt seen any design from OMA or Morphosis yet, but reiser-umemoto's one is quite interesting... and fluid... somehow it looks very "zaha" (IMho) ... check it out in reiser-umemoto's website.. its the aeon tower

Oct 12, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
albob

The thing about the reiser-umemoto design is it doesn't seem practical at all. Look at the floorplates of that one and this.

Oct 12, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

design/form wise the reiser umemoto one is striking... in terms of functionality that is where the question arises. if we look at zaha's scheme it is not as dynamic as expected of her work (this one is my personal POV), but definitely works well as an office layout cos it looks like a bent extrusion of a square plan.

dubai properties (the developer) may have opted to select the big name (in this case zaha) with the most practical efficiency (since after all.. its all bout the money and rentals and efficiency)

zaha is one of my favorites but this design somehow didnt elicit the "wow" reaction from me...

on a side note, aedas proposed something similar in abu dhabi way long ago before this was presented... coincidence?

Oct 12, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
poly

my god .... aedas and zaha doing similar work ? ...

i agree btw with cj. yeah its not 'zaha' enough .. if we can put zaha ism and gehry ism as phenomenas now .....

i liked RUR's work better than zaha too .... whatever .... the fucntionality may be ... we're still fighting for the name .......

i am really really waiting for a gehry in dubai !! ......

Oct 13, 06 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

those building elevations look like those wierd lines on the first page of her website

Oct 13, 06 3:35 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

MVRDV's Donau City (2002)

Oct 13, 06 8:56 am  · 
 · 
cj w.

hi nevermore:
i think on zaha's website the first page is the diagram for the MAXXI in rome...

hi poly:
i will look for the image of that aedas n zaha lookalike bldg proposal...

and gehry is actually going to do the biggest guggenheim in abu dhabi and not in dubai! hold your horses!

Oct 13, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
albob

This is it I think.

If this gets built then the engineers working with it should definitely be given a pat on the back

Oct 13, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

ah yes u beat me on that one albob
that is for abu dhabi by aedas
i really think it looks similar conceptually... between the 2 towers there is a connecting link to stabilize the two... in zaha's towers 2 of those are connected at midsection, the 3rd stand alone one doesnt really bend so much....

Oct 14, 06 12:31 am  · 
 · 
albob

Could this be one of the other 2 proposals for this project:

Dec 3, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

that is for another location in dubai lagoons, where did u get that foto?

Dec 4, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
13aqua

thats good... i think dubai needs Zaha

Dec 4, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

and rem... rem has a project there too!

Dec 5, 06 12:35 am  · 
 · 
sverris

i believe hadis drawings/paintings are better than her buildings.

Dec 6, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
brown666

This is the actual site where oma's rotating slab was supposed to go, they lost the competition to zaha...

Dec 6, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: