Archinect
anchor

great wedding locations in los angeles?

c_ty

Have you been to a great wedding in Los Angeles? Where was it?

-preferably outdoor
-300 people
-reception and possible ceremony as well

while i appreciate all the witty people who will have "hilarious" yet unhelpful responses, if anyone has some serious suggestions that would be great.

thanks in advance!

Oct 3, 06 7:44 pm

i'm guessing that bernard maybeck pavilion by the pond is too expensive or booked?

how 'bout right out on venice beach near the norton house?

does the mak/kings road house rent out the front yard and/or courtyard?

gardens at the getty, like right near where the fountain falls through?

Oct 3, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

The rose garden at Exposition Park:

It's beautiful and functional- it'll save you a TON of money on flowers.

Oct 3, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
c_ty

the getty doesn't allow weddings
the schindler house is too small for 300 guests
where is the maybeck pavillion?

thank you

Oct 3, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

getty villa?...i haven't been to or heard of a wedding there but it'd be a nice one

huntington library?...likewise...i don't know if you can rent the place

gamble house in pasadena?...lots of big trees around where you can hang lots of tiny lights

chung king road in chinatown?...i've seen a lecture there...and the narrow street with lots of people is great...you can set up some canopies, tables etc....

Oct 3, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

ya, knew the schindler house was too small, but thought maybe the yards could accommodate.

...and, dammit, maybeck's palace of fine arts is in san fran. sorry...

Oct 3, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

dammson- I don't think they do weddings at the Gamble House.

I've been told that the garden out back of Disney Concert Hall is available for weddings though. If you're Catholic, there's always the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.

Oct 3, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

the garden out back or up on the walk-over? up near that white mosaic sculpture thingy on the terrace might be nice.

Oct 3, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah i wasn't really sure whether the gamble house could be rented...the outdoors would be great though if you could...

Oct 3, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

Los Angeles River Center and Gardens

Augustus Hawkins Park

Forest Lawn Cemetary

Claremont Colleges

Mission Inn, Riverside

Union Station ?

Oct 3, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Steven- that's exactly where. The person I heard it from described it as being the part right where the dish-mosaic-flower-thingy is.

Oct 3, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
nitpicker

The Los Angeles River Center is very nice and worth checking out, good facilities too.

I'd certainly consider Descanso Gardens in La Canada Flintridge, not sure of their maximum size for guests, but they have a couple different locales around the gardens where weddings are held. I believe you have to sign up pretty far in advance.

The Japanese Garden at Cal State Long Beach is said to be a nice spot for a wedding; I haven't been there myself. Kenneth Hahn Park has a Japanese garden, which is not all that impressive, but I was at a very nice wedding there.

The Huntington doesn't allow weddings, but supposedly you can do your wedding photos there. Los Angeles County Arboretum does rent for weddings; I don't know about their level of services, they are on the underfunded side over there.

tons of other options out there: lots of chapels at the various colleges/universities, the various Claremont Colleges were suggested above, Pepperdine's has a fabulous view. and there's always the Wayfarers Chapel, although who knows how long their wait list might be!

any more specifics about what you're looking for (or how far afield you're willing to get) would help narrow down the choices...

Oct 3, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Misen

Huntington Library (maybe?)

I second Mission Inn Riverside

Oct 3, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

do it in your backyard, just like jlo did (a couple of times). can you rent out a big house with a nice backyard to have a party there?

Oct 3, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have it at the whiskey

Oct 3, 06 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

vado- is there where you're gonna hold yer wedding?

Oct 3, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

I went to a nice wedding at the schindler house but I don't know how many people were there. Catalina Island is worth a look. There is a botanincal garden there that you can reserve for a wedding. I think its called Wrigley gardens or something.

Oct 3, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sci-arc parking lot

Oct 4, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Barnsdall possibly??? dont know

Oct 4, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah, the wrigley botanical garden on catalina.

My first thought was "the Huntington Library!" too... shame about that. Might be worth a verification call just in case, because that would be amazing. I can imagine that they wouldn't let people do weddings there though, because it would be a fucking stampede. People would have every weekend booked for years.

You might check out the bowers museum in santa ana...(?) oh yeah, here you go, it's quite a nice place.

There's always the san juan capistrano mission, too, which is beautiful. dunno if it could take that many people, though.

Oct 4, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
nitpicker

no, the huntington really and truly does not do weddings.

forgot one suggestion I really wanted to make: saddle peak lodge in calabasas. fantastic restaurant tucked into the hills. game menu, so best suited to carnivores. don't know capacity though.

the original poster said 300 capacity, that's one BIG wedding, and would limit your choice of venue pretty significantly.

Oct 4, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 
nixietube

the helicopter pad of the marriott in marina del rey. i'm attending a wedding there this weekend, and have seen it before- its pretty nice- and practical- no problems accomodating or catering for 300. not a particularly fine piece of architecture, but excellent views from the roof.

Oct 4, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Inn of the 7th Ray

Oct 4, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I wonder if the Observatory can be rented out???

Oct 4, 06 1:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Frank Gehry's model shop

· 
mdler

McArthur Park...bring your gat

· 
strlt_typ

"November 3, 2006 Building reopens to the public"

Oct 4, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
geezopeez

Good suggestion with the Gamble House. How about the roof of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Downtown? There's a great view of the Nancy Rubins sculpture from that vista.

Oct 4, 06 2:18 am  · 
 · 
geezopeez

Oh --and yes, MOCA does rent out the roof top for events, however, I'm not sure if they do it for weddings.

It's all about getting married atop an uber-80s Isozaki.

Oct 4, 06 2:21 am  · 
 · 
geezopeez

Sorry, this is fun.

Oct 4, 06 2:24 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

wayfarer chapel - PV, by Llyod Wright

fay jones has been copying this place for the past 40 years.

The big question is how much do you want to spend?
$$$ or $$$$$$

Find a restaurant and hire them for the event. You get better food then a caterer and a free space.

Oct 4, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Misen

surf and sand or las brisas in laguna beach

Oct 4, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
mdler

get yourself an elephant, some CHG's (cute hipster girls) and have it somewhere downtown...

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=44277_0_42_0_C

Oct 4, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

And there is a Fay Jones chapel in Whittier...

Oct 4, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm sure you can get a great deal on an elephant...

there are also the studios lots/sound stages - paramount has the best ambiance, though MCA has the greatest backlot variety plus you typically get free passes for all the guests to the park when you use them for an event.

Oct 4, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when is the wedding???

Im doing a resturant in Los Feliz that can seat about 300. Has outdoor dining.

should be done in about a year, or so...

Oct 4, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

went to one at the Castle Green in Pasadena - plenty of room outdoors plus interior for drinks...
found this website - gatheringguide.com

Oct 4, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

also, i think the rotunda at the Natural History museum can be rented out - we had our reception at the Maritime museum in San Diego & museum locations are usually a bargain, loads of character, and the guests can browse the collection!

Oct 4, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

I would second Wayfarer Chapel in Palos Verdes, except I doubt you can get 300 people in. And I understand that there is about a year wait to researve.

You could also try Self Realization Shrine on Sunset near PCH. I have been to weddings there before with pretty large groups.

Oct 4, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

just a thought...

Oct 4, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

check out the california film commission office (on sunset). they have a photo library of all the places that can be rented out for filming/events with contact info.

then again, maybe you can invite thom cruise, travolta and beck to the ceremony.

Oct 4, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
z|o|o|m
Oct 5, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ewwwww, conservative mormons don't know how to have fun! but then they can have as many marriages/wives as they want.

Oct 5, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I met a woman this weekend who is getting married at the Moneo Cathedral

May 22, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: