Archinect
anchor

does anyone use 'processing' (the application)?

misterTT

I'm looking into growth algorithms for a project this semester, and have stumbled upon some amazing examples made with Processing. Most of these have open source codes, and encourage manipulation.
J. Tarbell's work http://www.complexification.net/gallery/ is pretty intense, if you haven't already seen it.

If anyone has experience, are there recommendations for books/tutorials, etc that might be more tailored to design/architecture?

essentially, I'm not looking to pick this up entirely from scratch, but to learn enough quickly to modify what's out there.

Are there any other general resources for growth systems (melscript would be best)? I know of nthd.org, and some of the work at MIT (weaver, etc.)

Sep 13, 06 8:28 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i just wish i was smart enough to use it. but i'm not.
scripting a three-dimensional package is probably more flexible.

Sep 13, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Picking it up from scratch is actually not that hard, start with some of the basic stuff in the learning section of the website:

http://processing.org/learning/index.html

It's one of those 'weekend to learn, lifetime to master' type things. It's a great introduction to coding, and it lets you do pretty rewarding work right out of the gate.

Sep 14, 06 2:24 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Yes I use it sometimes since two-three years. I've not released any experiments, but used it for sound processing and physical simulation. Like sevensixfive mentioned, it's very easy to learn (although I had a lot of programming experience from earlier) but can be used for quite advanced applications. My only concern is that some applications can become a bit slow, since it's optimized for pixel-by-pixel animations and digital signal processing.

I have not encountered any specific applications for architecture using Processing, but growth algorithms are well documented. One extensive site is Algorithmic Botany, but don't expect to be able to copy-paste any code directly into Processing or Maya... The extra libraries developed by the users are also very useful. I'd say that you should look at the "Physics" library by Jeffrey Traer Bernstein and see how you can combine its particle system with nodes and trees.

Sep 14, 06 3:19 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

thanks guys, it's nice to hear that it's at least somewhat accesible to novices.

Sep 14, 06 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: