Archinect
anchor

Type V 1hr, Combustible Rooftop Patio?

mean prank riverbank

So, drawing on your experience rather than your intelligence....

Can you tell me if there are any code previsions (LAMC, CBC, UBC) that dissallow having private roof decks constructed over a Class A roof (all new construction, R-1, Type V-1HR) that are made of combustible materials and/or are not 1hr assemblies?

No one can point me (so far) towards a specific place that prohibits my constructing a wood deck (or w/ metal or plastic grating) as a private rooftop patio, but some still have concerns. Am I to assume that it's the "one-hour construction throughout" requirement that requires my patios to be 1hr, or?

Thanks. All assistance appreciated.

Sep 12, 06 3:32 pm
Nevermore

is this for a barbeque party ?

Sep 12, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

idiot

Sep 12, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

No dumbass, a bonfire.

Sep 12, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

get over yourselves. obviously your intellects are talking here.

Sep 12, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Your private roof deck has a certain occupancy, so a rating is required. Check your chart for occupancy separation rating.

Sep 12, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I see nevermore's point,...the city's concern is someone could possibly have a barbecue up there and burn the house...

isn't "Class A" a rating for the shingles?...

Sep 12, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if you have your rated roof assembly, i see no technical reason you can't put what you want on top of it.

i've heard interpretations of UL assemblies along the lines of "you have to do exactly what they say - no additions" - I've also seen materials added outside of the UL assembly without plan check comments.

personally, though, i'd feel much more comfortable if the private roof deck were serving the unit directly below it only and it were non-combustible.

Sep 12, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

I'm glad to get at least one vote, el jeffe. I feel the same way about having the required roof assembly and then having above it what's above it. I'm not trying to do anything unusual, just have a roof deck, wood or otherwise.

Any specific experiences? I've encountered lots of wood terraces over habitable spaces, (off of living quarters rather than specifically on the roof) but I'm generally told that they were added post inspection or enlarged w/o a permit or by some other monkey business (single family)...and then lots of roof decks (multifamily) in other jurisdictions, but not LA.

So do you think I'll get further with wood (IPE), plastic wood (weatherbest), metal grating (mcnichols) or plastic grating (duradek) for the deck material?

Sep 12, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
FlowB

Not sure of the municipality, but within 3 ft. of the PL everything needs to be 1 hr, unless you have a 36", 1 hr. rated, parapet wall. Because ratings are separation based, and your 1 hr. speration already exists with your roof assembly, then i would say that a wood deck would be fine.

You are allowed to have flammable materials within 1 hr. building, so long as they are not required to maintain the integrity of the required separation.

Sep 12, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

design it to carry the required roof load. After inspection, go back and turn it into a roof deck

Sep 13, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

make sure you get a sturdy ladder

Sep 13, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

hey. don't post if you don't have anything useful to say.

Sep 14, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I have absolutely nothing useful to say.

Sep 14, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Chili. Perhaps you're not ready for TSA afterall...or maybe grad school will wake your ass up.

Sep 14, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

eVo, are you always this anal?

Sep 14, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Only when I have a legitimate question. If I started the thread by saying..."now, ok, monkeys or mice?", then maybe I'd expect the banter...It was probably my mistake for putting this on the 'General' thread rather than the 'Professional Practice' thread, but I'm not actually sure Archinect has a place for professional questions, even though there are surely some professionals on the site. Sorry to kill your fun.

Sep 14, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Apology accepted.

Sep 14, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

hey evo, what's goin to be on the menu ?
If you dont mind, I'd Like less fried stuff and more grilled stuff.
and gets lotss of beer and wine.

Sep 15, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: