Archinect
anchor

Revit vs Architectural Desktop

dtowntitan

My firm is looking into which of the 2 programs, Revit or Architectural Desktop is the better program to select to move forward with. Any comments, critiques, concerns about either of these programs, and comparisons would be very helpful.

Sep 12, 06 8:13 am
antipod

why would you not go parametric? surely the choice is obvious.

Sep 12, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
postal

yeah, i'm not sure how this is a "debate"

desktop is dead, and revit's in the bathroom washing his hands

Sep 12, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i swore at my computer screen for two weesk trying to learn revit... this program makes the simplest things the most difficult, but... the most challenging things (that will take you hours to fix in a drawing set while working with ADT) take minutes... REVIT is the future, no question about it. im sure this software will get infinitly better with time. i think they have four releases/year to keep the upgrades coming.

Sep 12, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 
i.des

Actually Revit is not That Difficult to learn. I started learnig with the tutorials that came along with the software they are really easy to get into an understand. They show you step by step on how to run the program and go through the commands. After messing around for a while with the tutorials, I ended up going to an Auodesk Training Center, by the time I started the Intense all day(3 day) Course. I realized I didnt really need the course, Because he had showed me the same thing that the tutorials had cover. The Autodesk Training is a good place for some one who has no prior experience with Revit. What I noticed is that people usally have a difficult learning revit, because they are trying to run it or learn it as though it is AutoCAD or another Similiar Program. If you ask me Revit and Architectural desktop are no where in the same playing level. ADT is for the old School. Revit is the new Way to go - I used to work on my projects with ADT because I wanted to finishe projects in a shorter time than working with Autocad and I did. But now with Revit....DAm.....

Sep 12, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

agreed with i.des. It was curious that when our office took the training the people with the most difficult time with revit were using ADT previously. Isn't the quote "...what? This isn't how (insert old software here) did it..." regarding revit.

Sep 12, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
miss casual

i agree with whats being said here. revit is the way to go. people who have trouble with it will be those who have trouble thinking parametrically or expect revit to be the new autocad. i found it to be very intuitive.

Sep 12, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

from my project manager perspective, i've got some concerns about revit, but i'm sure that they'll go away over time.

the primary concern: since the building is a three dimensional model, to an inexperienced eye, things can look more 'done' than they really are. i've spent an awful lot of time during drawing reviews looking for holes in drawing sets because it's so easy to miss necessary details and connections.

moral: the initial sprint to a model can go fast but the time it takes to then follow-through and make sure everything's covered actually ends up taking longer.

Sep 12, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

we're running revit now with multiple users. took us some time to figure how to set it up on our own... but it works great. no problems whatsoever. the file has an immense amount of info but remains small in file size and easy to move around in.

DO IT!

Sep 12, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Damn, I'm convinced....reivit...revit. I only hope to discover their logo includes a frog!

Sep 12, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

The BMI approach is great. You can create sections almost instantly from the model and work out what connections you need to detail at a very early stage. I use ArchiCAD but I suspect the approach is the same where all the details are linked to the markers on the sections, so you can access a typical detail from any of the sections where the detail appears.

Becasue everythign is 'live' any changes you make to the model are automatically reflected in the elevations and sections.

Sheduling is automatic...thank god.

The real trick is learning to make the model parts which comprise the majority of the model....and making sure you are rigorous in the way you model. If you are lazy when you model it, you will have a lot of heart ache later on.

Sep 13, 06 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: