Archinect
anchor

AIA Salary Survey

A1

Do any of you know what the AIA salary survey say the range is for a M. Arch 1 year exp in Miami, FL?

Thanks.

Sep 11, 06 12:45 pm
SuperBeatledud
www.salary.com
Sep 11, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

AIA 2005 report shows $37,400 average for second year level intern in the SE. Florida specifically shows $35,200 mean salary. No stats on Miami.

Sep 11, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Hey Strawbeary - I know you have the crazy hook-up with the AIA salary guide... Care to do another favor for one of your archinect colleagues?

I'd like to know which side of the bell-curve I currently reside on...

8 years experience
BARCH
recently licensed
LEED Certified (if that matters)
current role at my present firm is project architect/project manager for high-end residential projects...

Seattle, WA

Thanks!

Sep 11, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
A1

Strawbeary, thanks a lot, that was exactly what I was looking for!

Also SuperBeatledud, thanks, but I was looking for the AIA Survey.

Sep 11, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

dml, e-mail me

Sep 11, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Strawbeary, just emailed you -
thanks...

Sep 11, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

dml, unless you are Brenda P. and you# nee.d se-x# twice a d!ay, I didn't get your e-mail. I e-mailed you.

Sep 11, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

hmmm... don't know what's going on Strawbeary. I clicked the "email" link in your profile.

Haven't received your email either...

I blame the interior designer for it not working. :)

Sep 11, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

This site gives lots of info on occupation: wages, employment trends, comparisons etc.

America's Carrer InfoNet

Sep 12, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

dml, Takes a little compiling on my part, but I'm doing it over my lunch hour so I don't have to charge you!

Here's a little background info:
Arch ll: 6-8 years exp (lists duties that I don't care to retype)
Arch lll: 8-10 years exp (also lists duties)
The report doesn't get into what type of degree, if you are licensed, LEED, etc, or project types, role - that is kinda covered in the above Arch ll or Arch lll - you pick.

For Pac NW-
Arch ll mean salary: $46,900
Arch lll mean salary: $55,900

For Seattle Metro-
Arch ll mean salary: $47,700 (upper quartile is $50,800)
Arch lll mean salary: $58,100 (upper quartile is $62,200)

Some unsolicited advice when negotiating, this worked for me. Ask for the upper quartile number (or higher), settle for the mean salary if you want the job. Or else we will never get our wages up there. This is the strategy I used getting my job last year, and they gave me the first # I asked for, I backed it up by saying that is what people with my experience level make here (even though it was the upper quartile, shhh) and they didn't argue. I was scared shitless asking for that much, thinking I'd get thrown out, but guts pay off. :) For the whole profession.

Ask for higher than the upper quartile if you are really hot shit or the market warrants it (which it might right now). After all, 25% of your peers reported making that # or more, why not you too.

Sorry, A1, I just gave you the basics. But your upper quartile is $37,400 for Florida and $41,000 for the SE. I'd tack on some more for the metro area though. What is up with FL being less than the region as a whole? Hmmm.

The salary survey is 130 pages long and includes lots of great info, I wish it was available to everyone.

Sep 12, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
A1

Strawbeary, is there a difference in salary if I have a M. Arch not just a B. Arch?
As for the difference, I have no idea...maybe because of too much sun exposure!

Sep 12, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
A1

...the second part of my post refers to your remark:

"What is up with FL being less than the region as a whole? Hmmm"

Sep 12, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Strawbeary - thanks for the help! I owe you a beer.

Nothing too surprising with those figures - I'm pretty much smack in the middle...

Sep 12, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

The report uses a description such as given above for Arch ll and Arch lll, and there are many many of these - from technical staff to spec writer to drafter to principal. So it is helpful to be able to look at the whole report at once, and not just a number or two.

There are many introductory paragraphs that provide narrative on the conclusions such as what you seek, paying premiums for candidates with MArchs, lic., larger firms, etc. There are also stats on bonuses and benefits. The base numbers I gave above are base salary only.

Specifically in the case of an MArch, paraphased by yours truly: 6 of 10 firms do not pay more for a masters, of those that do 2/3 offer less than 5% of starting salary in addition (in 2004). Larger firms are more likely to pay this premium.

Sep 12, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

dml, sure, next time I'm in Seattle!

Sep 12, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: