Archinect
anchor

working in the Middle East, a trend ?

M+

I keep on hearing/reading about people moving to the Middle East -mainly Dubai & the arab gulf coutries.
is it a trend? are people going after a better pay? or it's just the magnet effect of the big boom?

Sep 9, 06 4:33 am
bRink

I guess where there's money and development for design and nice buildings architects will have jobs... But is a city like Dubai a good place to do good design, or just "luxurious"?

Sep 9, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
bRink
Sep 9, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
sid1

Well, I have been working in Dubai for the last 2 years, and I think that most people come here only to make money. Unfortunately, the whole market is very commercial in nature, and money drive. Most investors/clients have a lot of money to spend, and only want to create ego-centric architecture to become famous. There is no sense of design, or a sensitivity towards design. Also the deadlines, are so un-realistic that there is no time for any design development. Its straight from concept design, to detailed tender stage. I suggest to everyone who wants to work here, just visit it once and have a look around, you'll realise it yourself.
Having said that, does anyone have any ideas on possible locations to work as an architect and do good work. I am a world citizen so mostly the whole world is an option for me.

Sep 10, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

These guys are hiring in the Middle East.

Sep 10, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
M+

sid1, you're right, it is very commercial, i know 8 architects that have been working there, & they're saying pretty much the same.
However, developers are starting to realize that Dubai became about 'sameness', & it seems that 'design' will be their added value to reach again their ego-centric architecture as you described it. A lot of them are looking at stararchitects to achieve their vision.

Sep 10, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: