Archinect
anchor

code: can I change the pedestrian sidewalk?

cmrhm

Hi,

Currently I am designing a small office building with 5 stories in a large city in US. For tenant's benefits, I want to change the pedestrian sidewalk into more echo with the office's lobby. But obviously, this pedestrian pavement is out of the property line. I wonder if I could still do it?

Hopely it is not a stupid question.

Sep 7, 06 12:36 pm
Chili Davis

I'd make it look like this!

Sep 7, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

check the code for your particular city, or, spare yourself some reading and call the city and ask for someone who can help you!

Sep 7, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It varies city to city, you will need to check the code, but very often in a development that comes right to the sidewalk the owner of the property is actually responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalk, so if a material change is desired, they would be able to do it IF they get the proper permits, etc.

Sep 7, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i agree with all said above...
i've actually gone through...or started...this in nyc. it's a huge
pain in the ass. firstly there's only so much you can change...
the materials are limited and if you propose anything outside
of the ordinary you have to get testing for slip resistance..and
then submit to the art commission and then submit to the DOB
or DOT for approval. DOT/B approval is contingent on getting the
art commision's approval..and they're not typically into giving
their OK.

this also applies if you decide to do anything outside of the ordinary
5'x5' grid...if you do any kind of unusual scoring pattern for instance.
they despise 'carpet treatments'...i.e. where you change only a part
of the sidewalk to emphasize the entrance.

approval here can take longer than a year...or is expected to take
that long actually. so if you're in a major city you should consider
applying soon to see if you'll be approved.

also as an aside..if you're above vaults or the like..i believe there's
only a certain percentage of work that you can do on the sidewalk
before you have to bring everything up to code. this can be
prohibitively expensive.

Sep 7, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

like what stephanie said, call the city's engineering/public works/dot and tell them what you want to do and how to do it.

another suggestion is to walk around the neighborhood to see whether someone else has done something similar and ask the property owners how they were able to get permits...

Sep 7, 06 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

*ask how to do it...i mean

Sep 7, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

this is what you might be up against.

'don't mess with my sidewalk'

Sep 7, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

larslarson liberty bell:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. So I think it would be done if I really want to pursue it!

I just walked out of my office 20 minutes ago and took a look at some new buildings. It seems many owners want their sidewalk to be different with others. ONE highrise building have a very dramatic sidewalk pattern continues from its lobby. I originally never raelly looked at the road when I passed by them.

If you have any other comments, please contiune. Thanks again for all the inputs.

Sep 7, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

There are often city concerns about... I can't remember what the term is... but it's something like "line of walk" -- ie -- if you want to actually pull the sidewalk in or out, such as urban hotels commonly do when creating taxi dropoffs in front of their lobby building but within the sidewalk area, you have to make it so that pedestrians walking on the sidewalk don't have to go way out of their way to walk around the obstacle of your taxi dropoff which is now where their sidewalk used to be. Know what I mean? Boston is really strict about this, thankfully.

Sep 7, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

myriam...'path of travel' maybe?

Sep 7, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hahahahahahahaha yeeahhh probably something tricky like that.

Sep 7, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Like myriam said, hotel project tends to have such inner sidewalk. Unfortunately, I will have such sidewalk too. I will try to call Dep. of Zoning tomorrow for more details. Amazingly, the line to them is blocked totally today.

Sep 7, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
liftin

does anyone know about embedding lights in a sidewalk in NYC? i swear i've seen this before in the city, but I can't remember where. I looked on DOB website and no luck yet, would appreciate leads anyone can offer.

Nov 19, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Does the "pedestrian sidewalk" lead to the ATM Machine?

Nov 20, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

How much revenue does your project make for the city? Thats all u need to know, and knowledge is power my friend.

Nov 21, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: