Archinect
anchor

Working in Paris

charlize

Does anyone here know how much an intern would make in Paris? And what its like there?

Thanks ;o)

Sep 5, 06 9:25 pm
R.A. Rudolph

think there was a thread about this a long time ago... if by 'intern' you mean you haven't finished school yet, they are not paid - work is required for school, so these positions aren't paid. I tried several years back and received some interesting work offers but for no pay - ended up working for a friend with a one person office who could pay me a small amount. If its for a job right out of school, I doubt that pays much either. Unemployment is quite high and positions are difficult to find (my understanding). Not impossible, but it reduces pressure on wages. But I'm not really informed these days, anyone in Paris?

Sep 6, 06 12:41 am  · 
 · 
charlize

Thanks, I meant recent grad... Any numbers? Even if they are bad!

Sep 6, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

If you want a paid FT position rather than an internship, you'll need to start off with valid working papers. Are you a EU citizen? Past that, there's "brut" vs. "net" salary. Then there's a CCD vs. CCI (Contrat à Durée Déterminée, vs. Indeterminée), the latter of which is difficult to obtain. If you're still in, expect 2.5k euros/month (net) or 3k (brut), at very best.

If you want the experience, inquire about internships. Because they are required for school, supply vs demand rules exclude decent salaries. But some firms do pay, and you can bypass working paper issues.

Sep 6, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

oh, and in terms of "what it's like there"? Work might get better, but life won't. That's what the place is about, knowing how to live. A nation of "bons vivants".

Sep 6, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
charlize

thanks a lot

Sep 7, 06 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
charlize

thanks a lot ;o)

Sep 7, 06 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

funnily enough Amandine, i see it the other way around, i.e. the work environment in france is quite lame with a lot of bureaucratic and formal BS, and a general lack of perspectives, however life there can be rather sweet on a decent salary. 2.5 k a month is quite a lot of dough (relatively speaking of course), even in paris, considering that you get good free healthcare, shitloads of holidays etc. But that's if you're ready to accept high taxes, a sluggish job market, strong job hierarchies, grumpy bosses etc. i know i dont anymore, but having said that i miss my 50 odd days a year skiing and good and dirt cheap food... well, it'a choice, i still think it's an experience worth living though, especially for a non-french person.

Sep 8, 06 4:27 am  · 
 · 
charlize

hummm sweet

Sep 8, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: