Archinect
anchor

NYC Firm suggestions

SuperBeatledud

I'm trying to help a friend find some firms to apply to in NYC. She's relocating and needs some places to look at.

Thinking small to medium sized firms that truley emphasize sustainable design or creativity.

As always my friends, I appreciate your help.

-Your Friendly Super Bug

Sep 5, 06 5:03 pm
on my way

JPDA
www.jpda.net

Sep 5, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

Only work there if you arent concerned with making enough to even be homeless on.

Sep 5, 06 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

that wasn't what I asked...I asked for FIRM suggestions.

Sep 5, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect
these NY firms are looking to hire...
Sep 5, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Thank you very much Mr. Archinect, I have forwarded that link on.

Any insight however to your personal opinions on which are great? God I know we've talked about this hundreds of times, sorry.

Sep 5, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hmmm... NYC Firm suggestions...

I firmly suggest you avoid anyone that looks like a mugger.

Sep 6, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
poiuy

The best thing is to go on the interview, and when you get the tour, just watch with laser eyes how the people in the office act.

Do they smile warmly at you? Do they look like forlorn puppies at the pound waiting to be adopted? Is there nobody around, really? Is there an office door open a crack, with someone screaming on the phone inside?

How does the interviewer act when you get "the tour"? I had one guy let out a long sigh - that was the clue he had done this many times before and found no takers.

Is the office a dingy dump? Did you have to wait more than half an hour? I had one architect keep me waiting for an hour while he yakked on the phone to a friend, fully audible over a low partition wall.

How are you treated during the interview? Is the interviewer fielding phone calls, looking out the window, doodling? One interviewer chomped on a tuna salad sandwich during my interview with the mayo dribbling down his cheek.

A lot of these places are set in permanent "recession" mode when it comes to hiring people (they act like you're desparate for the job) and don't see the value in making themselves attractive to prospective employees...

Jerks tend to cluster, and people tend to hire people just like themselves....

If there's something that ibbles you about the place, don't take it.

Sep 7, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

lol, garpike, as always you crack me up.

But seriously, I'm looking for specific names of firm, people. Who do you know in NYC that is 100% about sutainability and creativity, and is in the small to medium size range.

I know if this was concerning Indianapolis, lb and vado would be all over it like a fat boy on a cupcake.

Sep 7, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Somebody sent me the link to this firm a little while ago, and I really like what they do.

Sep 7, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Kiss + Cathcart

Sep 7, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

try newyork-architects.com, not only do they have a bunch of firm profiles from small to large, they have pretty extensive job listings, i got my job in brooklyn from a posting there.

Sep 7, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Looks really cool, LIG.

Sorry for the humor, SBD. This discussion's not in my purview.

Sep 7, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Be extra carful of guys conducting interviews.....who say, " oh we never put so much information on a drawing....we could never pay you for the amount of time it takes to do that."

Sep 7, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

yeah, i know a few guys who work at gluck, they seem to enjoy it. definitely second the newyork-architects.com site, it's a great resource for those looking for jobs [i ended up not needing it but i got lots of info and a few interviews from it regardless]. my firm is in the realm of what your friend is looking for, but unfortunately we are not hiring. the market seems to be pretty good right now, so your friend shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a job. best.

Sep 7, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

garpike never apologize for being humurous, i always enjoy it. Just trying to get some suggestions thats all. thanks for the ref. guys, I'll be sure to pass them along.

snooker, has someone actually said that to you in an interview? what even brought that up?

Anyone tried showing up in a T-shirt and jeans to an interview? It wouldn't work very often, but if you get a job looking like that, then it's probably a pretty relaxed firm.

Sep 8, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
mdler

have them move to LA

Sep 8, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow, snooker.

Sep 8, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sorry for apologizing, SBD. He he he.

Sep 8, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

i love Lewis Tsurumaki Lewis.
it's a ny firm. :-D

Sep 9, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I worked for Jordan Parnass as well. Good office. Good location, good pay... Now I work in the city. Much love for DuMbo tho'

Sep 11, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Since no one else wants to do it, I guess I will. This was my long list when I moved to New York recently. I found a list of firms (I found a map online that some student made that showed a ton of good firms in Manhattan - I cannot find it now for the life of me) elsewhere and looked at all their websites, added some, removed some and this is what I was left with. Then I pared it down even further when I sent resumes out but this is the LONG list:

212 Box
Agrest & Gandelsonas Architects
Bernard Tschumi Architects
Cook + Fox Architects
Daniel Goldner Architects
David Hotson Architect
Diller Scofidio + Renfro
Eisenman Architects
Flank
Francois de Menil Architect
Gluckman Mayner Architects
Gwathmey Siegel Architects
Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis
Lifeform
Lot-ek
Lynn Rice Architects
nARCHITECTS
OMA
Pei Cobb Freed & Partners
Peter L. Gluck & Partners
Philip Johnson Alan Ritchie
Rafael Vinoly Architects
Resolution:4 Architecture
SHoP
Slade Architecture
Smith-Miller + Hawkinson Architects
Snohetta
Steven Holl Architects
Studio Libeskind
TEN Arquitectos
Tod Williams & Billie Tsien
Work Architecture Company

Good luck!

Sep 11, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I had an interview at JPDA, really liked it there, didn't really have enough experience for the position though. Found a great job with a small firm in williamsburg after and been here since

Sep 11, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
zirconpolyestherthylene

POLLEN::
Here is that awesome map you were talking about, I think....
hint hint:: Click the "plus 40" link at the bottom right for another forty firms.

http://www.altproject.com/vector/maps/nyao.html

peace~~

Sep 13, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: