Archinect
anchor

Google To Start Eavesdropping

mightylittle™

Google's awe-inspiring technological prowess knows no bounds.

See it here or in its native UK format here.

They will begin eavesdropping now, by way of your computers' built-in microphones.

They'll listen to the TV in the background, filter out the noise, determine what you're watching and target their advertisements accordingly.

Illegal search and seizure anyone?

What does this mean to you in terms of personal privacy? Anything?

Love 'em or Hate 'em, at some point soon, someone's going to fight Google with a pretty big class action suit claiming wrongful intrusion.

Thoughts?

I particularly like that all of the "targeted" Google ads on the sidebar of the UK article as linked above are for Spy Gear.

Sep 4, 06 5:38 pm
manamana

it's a little early for april fools

Sep 4, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

maybe, maybe not. you decide...

here

or here

or even here

i'm no neo-luddite but i can't help but cringe just a little bit at the further availibility of my private life to those with more prying eyes who wish only to sell me things that i neither want nor can i afford.

Sep 4, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

mana, maybe you've got some inside news that i haven't seen...perhaps i'm just the victim of a large scale inside pre-april-fools.

i've been known to be pretty easily fooled. stars in my eyes i know.

Sep 4, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Try Google
Sep 8, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

how ironic..

Sep 8, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Google seems to be getting too big & too fast for its own good. Ethical dilemmas of technology is an issue where there is a growing disparity between our collective ability to control the information explosion and the cunning ways in which technology is indiscriminately infiltrating our private lives. But then what is private and what is public? Exhibitionism and narcissism that transpire through our lives seem widely accepted and at times celebrated.

How much is too much?

When is it enough, and who says so?

Do we embrace the technology as it is, turn a blind eye to the flip side of its manipulative capacities, are we going to surrender without a fight?
It seems so.

I'm feeling very disenchanted today.

Sep 9, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Perhaps this is what we need?

Sep 9, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

dude, rumors like this are ages old.

i remember hearing exactly the same thing about microsoft about 8 years ago.

Sep 9, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I heard that Google has an internet based operating system in the works... Where the software you run, your files and all data are stored externally rather than on a hard drive... Which frees you up to gain access anywhere you are, but at the same time would put your own security and privacy in the trust of a third party provider... Your data would be safekept, but might be a bit scary...

On the other hand, I assume that businesses would have their own servers running everything, keeping their client files etc. secure?

Sep 10, 06 5:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: