Archinect
anchor

summer internship..

Archilearner

i am a junior from an non-professional architecture program and i really want to do an internship next summer...

any ideas for

how much would i get paid?
where should do an internship?
Should i go for a big firm or a small private one?

Thanks!

Sep 1, 06 8:29 pm
swisscardlite

i'm on the same boat and i have this question as well. when should I apply? and if i'm a first year student, what are my chances of getting a paid summer internship?

Sep 1, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Archilearner

Can't someone share some ideas with us regarding above questions, please?

Sep 4, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
karma1881

I am an arch student well into my education, and I know what you may be going through. This summer I completed my first real summer internship. I say real because my prior experiences where more like working 2 days a week, hauling product samples, and organizing the library. What I did this summer, and what you should be looking for, is a place that gives you a wide variety of tasks, from building models to editing contstuciton documents, and perhaps designing small parts of the project. Where you work 5 maybe 6 days a week and are seen as an asset and a person who can input ideas and questions to the design.

2. Preparing for the Job:
Looking back, I feel like a missed out on my earlier years of school because of timidity, procrastination, modesty.

Now in order to land a job you NEED a cover letter, a resume, and a portfolio. Don’t apply without either of these even if you feel you don’t have experience or work for your portfolio.

During winter, and spring brake compile your portfolio. Make sure to include non-studio related work, especially CAD and 3D Work. (I found this out this summer when for my first 3 job interviews I didn’t show computer work and didn’t get in, while the final 2 I did and was accepted accordingly). If you don’t have any presentable computer work, the winter brake is your chance to make some. One thing I did was model a building that I admired, that way could learn about both the architecture and the computer program.
Make your portfolio NICE, look online for some web portfolios, as well as the bookstores for sample portfolios. Don’t rely on your school library for these things, because my library didn’t have any.
In terms of your studio portfolio, understand that architecture is as much about process as it is about the final product. So document every sketch, model, and drawing you have (I am not saying put them in the portfolio) but have them so you can edit them in your final presentation.

3. Getting the Job:
Most summer job posting appear from the months March to the beginning of June. My advise is to apply to a lot of places, don’t procrastinate once you see a posting, send right away. Of course do your research about that firm, and edit your cover letter accordingly. And when you go on an interview and they tell you they will call you next Friday, continue applying to jobs, because most likely they will not call you. Even if you are really good, there are 20 other interns interviewing for the same position. And don’t feel like your being disloyal because they have no problems rejecting applicants, so you should have no problem rejecting a job offer if you have a better one.

Also don’t be arrogant, tell your classmates and your professors that you are looking for a job, chances are someone may have an opening in their firm. Some of my classmates even have asked their professors for jobs, but I haven’t stooped that low yet (ultimately doesn’t really matter, because this technique may win you a job in a very good firm).

My final thoughts/suggestions are to treat the job application the way you labored at applying to colleges. I don’t know about you, but I studied for the SAT’s for about 2 years, wrote 3 college essays before I was satisfies with just 1 of about 6 of them, and spent countless hours applying to each college of my choice. But here the competitiveness is even greater. So put your energy into it, even if you feel like you are bright, talented future architect, market your abilities a well as you can.
Best of luck.

Salary Ranges: (from talking to my classmates, not counting those that worked for free)
First year: 8.50-10$/h
Third year: 10-15$/h ... Big firms like SOM pay more, while small firms may give more tasks and responsibilities, especially when they are at a deadline.

Sep 4, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Archilearner

karma....
Thank you so much for your input!!!! We really appreciate it!!!

Sep 6, 06 2:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: