Archinect
anchor

HELP! Change of status from F-1 to J-2

La A

I have an F1 visa and am currently working with my OPT (optional
practival training, ends mid june). I want to change status to a J-2. I already have the DS-2019 issued. I recently got a job but my OPT only lasts a year, can't apply for the H-1 because it already reached its cap. And if I wait until next year there will be a time gap between my expired OPT and the H-1 visa process. So the only way to continue working and overcoming the time gap is with the J-2. But the questions are:
1. Is is possible to change my status in the US to a J2 (prior to my expiration date of the OPT say apply six months in advance)? My husband is in J-1 status already.
2. If it is posible to change my status in the US, can I continue working with my OPT EAD card until my new EAD card under the J-2 is given to me?
3. If it's not posible and I have to go home to get my new J-2 visa stamped on my passport and come back in the US with my J-2. Can I still work with my unexpired EAD card given as OPT even though it was issued under an F-1 visa?
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sep 1, 06 2:30 pm
c.k.

if you change your status in the us it usually takes longer. you really don't need to go home for the new J-2 visa, you can also go to Canada for this, but you have to make an appointment a few months in advance, so you can take a few days off from work for this.

Sep 2, 06 1:27 am  · 
 · 
vi_d

are you allowed to work on j2? spouses of people on h1 do not get work authorization.

i strongly recommend discussing the issue with an experienced immigration lawyer and not relying on archinect forum for answers.

(as far as i know j visas have a clause that prohibits seeking employment in the usa for 2 years after a j visa is over. it might be hard to transfer from j to h1 smoothly later on…)

Sep 2, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just leave the u.s. isnt' really worth staying here.... the whole world hates the u.s. anyways........

Sep 3, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

WOP1 or WOP2 might be options?

Sep 4, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

j-2 is really the only spousal visa that allows you to work

but it usually comes with strings attached such as being forced to work in your home country for two years before you come back to the US. depending on your country you can usually obtain a waiver from your country's government and then another one from the Us but that one is easier.

Sep 4, 06 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: