Archinect
anchor

Office Music

3dGraffiti

Somewhat of a tech question... In our office we are discussing how to allow everyone to share their mp3 collections over the network and to play over traditional speaker (ie. through a receiver). Sort of like a network jukebox or common playlist were everyone can manipulate the playlist.

We don't want to dump all of our music into a single location, so that we can manage our own libraries. We got very close to being able to do it with iTunes and Airport express, but no dice...

Any thoughts?

Sep 1, 06 12:19 pm
James Meyer

are you all wanting to be listening to the same thing at the same time or each person a different thing at the same time?

if its the latter I can't see why you can't just share your music on itunes and anyone who is on the network can access your tunes...not burn them or anything but they can play them... that is how we do it at my office...

Sep 1, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

No. We want to be able to chose music from our individual libraries to put into a common queue (jukebox style), to be played over the office soundsystem, preferable through iTunes (since that is what everyone uses as their player).

We can get this result from a single computer using Airport express, and, each person can play music from the other's libraries through itunes (through their own computer only), but we can not create a common folder to act a playlist on the machine that is connected to the soundsystem...

I may be asking to much... I just wondered if their was a software that would serve as a "network jukebox".

Sep 1, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Why not just copy duplicates of everyone's mp3's onto the machine connected to the receiver? That way everybody can still keep their libraries on their workstations if they so choose.

Is everyone in your office on board with this decision? Anytime I've worked in an office with music played out loud in the studio it has invariably lead to conflict. Just be careful.

Sep 1, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
bntz

Whenever you get tired of everyone`s collection of music and everbody humms all the songs, heres a good change

link

enjoy,

Sep 1, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

Yeah, everyone is into it. As it is now, each of us takes turn being the DJ from our own computers played through each's crappy, local computer speakers. There are only five of us and everyone has a good ear for music. We would like to set it up so that anyone can change around the playlist or veto a song if they felt like it. I agree that this only works well in a small studio.

And yeah, it could still be trouble!

Sep 1, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: