Archinect
anchor

anyone have IAESTE experience?

I've got another two years of school left for my m.arch, meaning I've got one more summer to fill before I go out and join the real world...

This year I spent five weeks in western europe on a school/study-abroad trip, and now I'm down in the virgin islands doing some easy CAD work for a month. I'm certainly not complaining, but next summer I hope to find something a little more professional, something I can be proud to have on the resume.

So, when I stumbled onto the IAESTE website I was pretty excited... http://www.aipt.org/subpages/iaeste_us/intern_abroad_placement_faq.html

Has anyone here had any luck with their programs? I'd love to hear some testimonials.

Aug 29, 06 8:42 pm
gvg

I found an internship through IAESTE back in 99. I was set up with a nice, small firm in Leiden, Netherlands that built and designed a really wide range of projects. I was there for 6 months, was paid a small (less than U.S. minimum) wage, was put up in a suitable student apartment, had full health insurance, and a legit work visa. Dutch firms are used to having interns, it's a requirement for an architectural education there, so I was well integrated into the firm. It was my first job and I did schematic designs, construction documents, surveying, client meetings on a full-time schedule. And the boss brought me with him to see the Tom Waits concert in The Hague.

It was a great experience professionally and personally. One catch with IAESTE is that if you can find a business in the U.S. willing to hire a foreign intern, they guarantee that you will get an internship. This could be an architecture firm, an engineering firm, or any firm that could use an intern of technical skill. They also give you priority. I was able to find a U.S. firm, and I got my 2nd pick of jobs. Otherwise I think they say they are able to find positions for 60% or something. If you are M.Arch and have more office experience, you might have a much better chance already.

Needless to say, your experience will be completely dependent on the firm that hires you, and how you enjoy whatever country you are in. But as far as IAESTE and their American offices go, I have no complaints. I think more people should be aware of them, it's a great program!

Aug 30, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the reply. That's good news. The more I hear about this, the better it sounds. Good tip on finding a US firm... My former employer keeps calling me asking if I can work (I can't), maybe I can get them an intern...

Right now I've got about 2 years experience, a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and working towards my M.Arch... I think that's probably a good resume so far...

How important was your portfolio, once you were nominated?

Aug 30, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 
a3

I did an internship through IAESTE in the summer between my first and second years of an M.Arch program. I spent the summer of 1998 in Belgrade, Yugoslavia (the summer before we bombed...) and it was a great experience. The arch. experiene was ok. I worked for a small private firm and the work was somewhat interesting, definitely more interesting than the work larger public firms were doing. THe language barrier (i don't speak Serbian) was difficult but I did site visit, some schematic design as well as construction documents.

Living in Belgrade was amazing, I didn't meet another American the whole summer. Not exactly a hot tourist destination... but a profoundly interesting experience. I would definitely recommend it, I even got some sort of scholarship that paid for almost all of my expenses. I also got a place to live, some meals, a bus pass etc. Nothing was very expensive there, then.... The only problem I had was getting a visa (the US did not have diplomatic relations at the time so I had to get it through Canada but the IAESTE office helped with that) It was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had.

Aug 30, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
gvg

That's funny, Belgrade was an option in 99 as well. I wonder if it was the same firm. We weren't bombing them when I had to choose, but shortly thereafter.
I should also mention for countries like France and Germany, they require you to know the language, other countries do not. IAESTE did not ask for a portfolio, but the Dutch firm I applied for did.

Aug 31, 06 2:44 am  · 
 · 
Pheasant

Hi,
I'm actually on an IAESTE internship right now in Ireland. I'm working for 3 months with the city council, so I'm not doing as much architecture as I might be if I was with a firm, but I'm mainly into preservation, anyway. I've met architecture interns from lots of different countries and its been one of the best experiences of my life. Plus, Ireland actually pays pretty well and is fairly lax about letting you off early to go traveling on the weekends with the other interns from all over the country.

I really recomend it. Also, if you have a local chapter, get involved in that. Not only does it improve your chances of getting an internship, but you also can get to know some of the interns coming to your own school.

A good resume helps for the top jobs, but IAESTE USA really weights their choices heavily towards active members and the firm itself will just see the one portfolio of the person who is chosen by IAESTE USA. As long as you are qualified, they'll usually accept you.

And France is no longer active in IAESTE and Germany didn't offer any Architecture jobs to the USA last year. But there were several in Brazil and Croatia. Ghana. Spain. Italy. Czech Republic. Turkey. And I've forgotten the others.

Aug 31, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: