Archinect
anchor

is working for gehry really that bad?

cloak and dagger

i've seen the other posts, and they seem quite negative. But would working on the models really be that bad? I mean wouldn't there be a lot of "other stuff" that u could pick up on just being a part of the projects?

Aug 28, 06 9:45 pm
some person

Check out the film A Constructive Madness. It makes working in Gehry's office seem glamorous.

Aug 28, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Taesung

I found my time at Gehry's a pleasurable experience, and would not assume that the work is all models. Well...I take that back, it depends on your level of experience and position that you're coming in at.

If you're coming in straight out of school, most likely a large part of your time will be spent in the model shop. How you feel about that will vary. If you're interested in the design process and how it initiates, then you'll already know that most of that process is model-based. So it wouldn't be a surprise or be that bad to you.

If you're straight out of school looking to put together production drawings without extensive experience and you hate the model shop, you need not apply. It can't be blamed, the office's production drawings can be quite sophisticated and you can't expect them to train you. You have to train yourself.

If you're with a lot of experience, be expected to be on a less than competitive salary with a lot of overtime hours that never seem to comp out. If you don't know CATIA, expect to learn it on your own time.

Anyhow, there are defintely a lot of perks working for the office that make the experience quite rewarding. A few being: exposure to the wide variety of projects being designed all over the world, the diversity among the employees and ideas, getting listed as part of the project team in publications (if you're into that kind of thing) and seeing some cutting edge (some may argue otherwise) designs get built, a pretty damn good softball office team that kicks a lot of other starchitect offices' asses :), etc.

Aug 28, 06 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

taesung, how long did u work there? do you think it helped when pursuing other positions down the road?

Aug 28, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

if you have to ask... don't do it.

What's the point of getting a 'name' on your c.v. when it is well know that they churn through employees and that you will have had no significant input on any project you get to work on?

ok, the softball thing is fun, even with the ringers that dominate the game.

Aug 29, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
snooker

You call them models.....standing in the corner crumpling paper.....tossing it at the waste basket. Retrieving those which don't make the receptical and hot gluing them to a foam core base.....damn some people even call it Architecture.

Aug 29, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: