Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on Zaha Hadid exhibit at the Guggenheim

modularnyc

Got a chance to see the exhibit today. As you wonder up the ramp, through the beginning paintings, sketches and very abstract theory or investigative drawings as they are called you end up upstairs to the more comprehensible and realistic projects. I thought it was amazing and loved the models on display.

I think exhibits like this one sometimes make me glad I became an architect, just to see the amount of people there and the amout of work and effort one puts into to create something different and unique. I am inspired.

Aug 27, 06 9:24 pm
joe

I loved the exhibition, and yes I also really enjoyed the models, although I started at the top and went down... as I thought was the general thing to do in that space.
I found it inspirational, made me look at myself and evaluate things. As a recent graduate there are many avenues to go on and I thin kit was nice to see this exhibit at this point, although it would have been nice to see something on this scale early on in my arch education career as well.

definately recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it.

Aug 27, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
asparchitect

Enjoyed the exhibit. Thought it became a little sloppy as it went on: did not easily make connections between models and wall display, thought the commentary was shallow and would have been much better if Zaha provided the commentary herself (at least in part). i enjoyed the short videos inserted along the path of the exhibit, because we got to hear her personal commentary. did not have patience for the wall papered photo montage at the end of the exhibit. in short, I think exhibit was poorly edited and narrated. i thought it did a decent job of introducing some of the themes of zaha's work.

i did think, though, that the work itself was incredible, especially the paintings and the models. these themselves were enough to make up for the uninspired installation and narration.

Aug 27, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

I was truly inspired. Definitely one of the best showings of work i've seen in a long time. Hadid's paintings are incredible. The shear scale of them is just amazing.

As for the actual exhibition...I thought it was pretty unorganized. It actually started off nicely with her early work and competitions neatly displayed. The first couple tiers were fine, but as you got to the top of Franks spiral it got really cluttered. There were models on the outside of the ramp that you didn't even notice, or passed right by because you were to busy looking and the smattering of renderings that were so sloppily pasted on the adjacent wall. Then there were random animations and videos of Hadid that were placed right on the ramp which caused major traffic jams. They should have put all the video in the video rooms.

It would have been nice to see a comparitve style of exhibition. I thought it would have been cool to show her work along-side of some of the early Russian avant-garde drawings that she was so influenced by, possibly curated by Catherine Cook.

But overall, I came out of the exhibition just exhausted but super-inspired. There was so much to see, and the quality of the work was superb. I've recommended it to so many of my friends here in Chicago, and some of them have already bought tickets to NY just to see the exhibition...i think it's well worth it.

Aug 28, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

i too thought it was a pretty poorly mounted exhibit, in a small room off of the sprial near the bottom were a series of small sketches, but they were hung so that you could only look closely at the ones on the right hand side, models and accompanying drawings were not always that near eachother.... etc.

did anyone else see the construciont sets for that medical center in germany? they just had them sitting on tables in the reading room about 1/3 of the way up. it was fun seeing much more complex sections and plans than i'm used to, and all in german too.

seeing this exhibit was just what i needed coming off of the summer semester, she's done such amazing things with representation, it has me excited to get back in the studio. she had a lot of rendering techniques that i'm gonna experiment with/copy/modify. i totally skipped the videos, and kinda appreciated them for drawing some of the crowd (it was pretty crowded on a sunday) away from the models and drawings. her industrial design work was remarkably uninspiring after being blown away by the renderings below.

Aug 28, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

i've never seen anyone else make a model with carbon fiber....sweet

Aug 28, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
modularnyc

I think she found scrap pieces at the bmw factory. they make M3 dashboards out of carbon fiber.

Aug 28, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

going to see it Friday evening

Aug 28, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Hey New Yorkers, are friday nights really free at the guggenheim? or is that just a myth??? please inform!

Aug 29, 06 3:36 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

Fridays is "donation" day at the guggenheim, that means you are not obliged to pay the 18 dollar fee, but give a donation of your choice.

Aug 29, 06 8:46 am  · 
 · 
standaman

It's a donation "of your choice," but with a minimum of $4 for students and a little more for adults. Not quite free, but considering how steep the usual admission is for such a small museum, it's still a great chance to see the exhibits (and the bldg itself) at a huge discount. Doors open at 5:45 and close at 7:45. There's always a pretty big line, so it's good to get there around 30 minutes before doors open if you want to take full advantage of the 2 hours you get. But even if you arrive late, the line always moves pretty quickly.

Aug 29, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
e

i miss the days of living in DC where museums were free.

Aug 29, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I feel the exhibit is shallow and pedantic. Yes, shallow and pedantic.

Aug 29, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

just saw the exhibition last friday evening. All in all, i thought there was a bit too much stuff floating around, very very disorganized and illogical. (im sure they had some logic for arranging the whole sequence of exhibits, but i could not make out what it was)
Some of the models were good, but a lot of those were very student-like. It was pretty obvious low- or unpaid interns were making these models. One expects to see more finished stuff at least at the guggenheim.

The best pieces imho were the beautiful paintings of the peak competition and all the other older paintings.

Sep 5, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

very impressive exhibit. i was a little disappointed that there were so few models from the early years, but the models did get sweet upstairs. the bas relief perspectives out of museum board were very cool. she really gets crazy with the medial. carbon fiber models, presentations drawings printed on chrome! the car was shitty, though. oh, and i felt for the interns who were stuck behind the rapidograph long hours without pay for everything the the first 2/3 of the spiral.

Sep 6, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Klaymen

i heard that she calls her internts diragotory terms like pumpkind and tomato

Sep 6, 06 6:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: