I'd like to give a Damn!

mick jagger, quoting miles'name in an interview;
"miles is the greatest musician, i'd love to play with."

"mick jagger? who is he anyway... fuck'um..."
-miles davis, from his autobiography

Aug 22, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

"Genius is no more than a greater aptitude for patience" - George Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon

Aug 22, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" - Old Parapaledgic man.

Aug 23, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

what if you can't dodge a wrench?

Aug 23, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

SuperBeatledud - Cameron, are you hiring?

hello from Chennai.. We are always on the lookout for new folks. We just took on a couple more people. We currently have 4 on the gulf coast, 3 in South Asia and 5 in house. Send us your resume.

There are also other groups out there too. Public Architecture and Design Corps to name a few. you should contact them as well.

Aug 27, 06 5:29 am  · 
 · 
steph p.

vado- then you can't dodge a ball

Aug 27, 06 6:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

take care of your balls and they'll take care of you.

Aug 27, 06 7:08 am  · 
 · 
martin jurin

daniel libeskind once said that he would never become an architect if he only knew how dull the architecture practice actually was, and still is.. but because we are not living in never ending present, but rather in ever changing world of architecture, and therefor art, i think that we mustn't lose hope yet..

Aug 27, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
alexan

i worked for a now very notorious brooklyn designer this summer.
if you think stair details are bad try doing six hours for floor area calculations to appease the nyc zoning resolutions, then hearing my project manager almost cry because the dob is making her chop off the end of her building.

then i went on a site visit and it was all worth it

Aug 27, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

six hours to calculate floor areas?

Aug 27, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

SBD - maybe for your next time around, you should stay clear of the large corporates and find a small (really small) firm that you can be totally involved with.

the catch is, said 'really small' firm would need projects that you are interested in and/or have a principal that is really nice and you can get along with and connect on a personal level.

this worked for me, my first internship was with a large corporate, then someone gave me the same advise i have wrote above and it worked. i had the most amazing time working for a small firm. the principle would take me everywhere. to jobsites, to meetings, interviews, everywhere. he did not talk down to me and trusted me with design work. never in my life did i learn as much as those few months. every once in a while we will keep in touch.

Aug 27, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

polyline around each gross floor plate,
polyline around each deduction,
insert feild into graph
repeat
subrtract
add
subract

Aug 28, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

must be a super avant garde design!

Aug 28, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Cameron - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to look into them for my next internship.

I had a talk with my project managers, and they were really appreciative with what I had to say. I think they sympathized with me with my frustrations, and the fact that I took responsibility for my attitude and didn't blame it on them or the company.

Aug 28, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
James Meyer

hey sbd also give the uacdc link alook when you have a chance. Most of their work has a social agenda/model as well as an architectural one. Also it is a very small firm (5 people) and is in an academic enviroment.

Aug 28, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: