Archinect
anchor

Computer recommendations

CC_LA

I'm starting the M.Arch 1 program at Sci-Arc this fall and was wondering if someone could recommend a computer (laptop) to buy. I'll need it to run the create suite, autocad, maya and rhino. I love Macs but am not tied to any particular brand-- I'd like a computer that will run these programs with the greatest ease.

Aug 20, 06 7:56 pm
trace™

Search for threads, it's been discussed to death recently.

Duo 2 Core processors will be out in the next few weeks. Wait for them if you can, it'll be worth it.

Aug 20, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
modularnyc

I have an alienware laptop, which saves me about 3 to 4 hours on my 3d work, but I beleive dell now makes pretty solid laptops for a much lower price. (maybe because dell now owns alienware might have something to do with it? )

i think as long as you have 2 gig of ram and a good graphic card, you should be fine with any laptop. Personally, the extra money is not worth buying a much more expensive computer, it only saves you about half a second of speed.

Aug 20, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

be careful ordering high end dell. i ordered one of their xps machines in early july. they have delayed and delayed my order and are now giving me an october 20th delivery date. what a mess.

intel core 2 (conroe) processors have been out for nearly a month now. mark downs have already occured so now is a good a time to buy as any.

Aug 20, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

core 2 for laptops (merom) will be shipping late sept last I heard.

One thing: in the past couple years, virtually all companies, in an effort to slim down their laptops, have cut back on cooling solutions, especially for the graphics chips. This fine for most situations but if you do alot of 3d modeling or rendering, you may want to buy a cooling pad and/or have someone (a pro) re-seat the fan module with higher quality thermal material.

Aug 20, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Yeah, I agree with manamana. The T42ps at Penn were all frying under the heat. Didn't help that some people put them on place mats or left them in neoprene sleeves while working. I even told a few people not to do that, and they did anyway. What do you know, a few weeks later 'BOOHOO my computer died!'

Aug 21, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
trace™

From what I have read, it's the XPS machines that have the delays (I'd ask them).

dot - it's true the chips are selling, but as far as I know, there aren't any laptops that are shipping with them. I have not seen any mark downs, either, for laptops. I'd wait.

I keep hearing late August/early Sept. for Dell's shipping of Core 2 laptops (but mm knows more than I do).

Aug 21, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

the dells are the hottest, they actually burst into flames these days!!!!!!

Aug 21, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
CC_LA

modularnyc, what would you recommend as a good graphics card?

Aug 21, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

dot,

Which xps dell machine did you order?

Aug 22, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i just received my lenovo T60p. it's very nice. comes w/ the 256mb ati fire gl gfx card too. :)

Aug 22, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Joshua Wentz

Though I have my own bias, doesn't Sci-Arc recommend anything specific, or have any special deals for students? Most schools these days do both of those things.

Aug 22, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

asauer, i ordered the xps 700. it's a gaming machine:

-512MB graphics card
-pentium D 930 (dual core 3.0 GHz) - they offered core 2 but would be delayed
-24" inch montor

This is probably more than enough for an architecture students, unless you are a professional renderer.

i used an epp (student) discount to get a $2400 machine for $1300. i though i got a pretty good deal until this delay. i've also spent probably 12+ hours on the phone with dell so far.

Aug 22, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

try checking out a company called BOXX. They cater to animators, engineers,architects...anyone in the graphics heavy field. I bought my desktop from them and its a pretty damn solid machine. They sell a desktop replacement too. I had a few problems at the start but they're a small company and have truly (honestly) good customer service.

www.boxxtech.com

good luck

Aug 23, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

oh....Basically, you can just call BOXX and tell them what you're doing, what programs you're going to be using, and a computer tech will recommend a machine setup for you

Aug 23, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

I have to give a bump for boxx. I have one of thier 7400 machines and it is an anvil : ) this thing loves to work and in the 2 years (constant modeling + rendering) that I've had the machine I've never had to call tech support for a problem... only for ram upgrade advice.

the only thing that could be a possible annoyance is that all dual processor workstations are at least 2x as loud as thier non-workstation comrades. email this guy: [email protected] and tell him you're a student (they gave me about a 7% discount :)

the http://boxxtech.com/products/8300.asp series would be, hands down, the fastest machine you could buy today and would be my choice were I buying a new workstation!

cheers

p.s. don't skimp on ram as Maya is now 64 bit and will be able to use up to, I think, 128GB of system memory... assuming you run WindowsX64 or Vista (whenever that fu***** happens)

Aug 23, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

apple is still a relevant purchase, now that they can run windows and linux too (at native speed). I'd wait until they update their macbook pro to the core 2 duo. They are getting a higher market share too so more 3D apps will come out for them (modo is an excellent alternative to maya... but really needs dxf/dwg import/export). In terms of a professional work station the mac pro with dual xeon chips compares quite favorably with dells xeon workstations... in fact on the higher end apple is $1000 dollars cheaper...which is such a slap in the face to dell.

Aug 23, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

I agree the MacPro is a wicked-fast machine (uses the same CPU and chipsets) but I've not heard (difinitively) of that machine getting along well with either X64 or Vista.

before sinking $3k onto a machine, I'd either find out for sure, or buy something else that you know will be compatible... and is just as fast.

Aug 23, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

I'm sure there will be support for vista (if not from apple then parallels)...xp64 bit... doubt it since very few people use it and there are certain compatibility problems with software from what i've heard. For now most companies/firms will stick to XP.

Aug 24, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
asauer

Anyone looked at the Dell Precision M65 laptops. They seem like they have everything needed for architecture students.

-NVIDIA® Quadro FX 350M 512MB Turbocache, OpenGL
-2G Ram
-Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2500 (2.00GHz/667MHz) Dual Core
-80GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)

And for a good price compared to Dells, XPS machines and Lenevo Thinkpads with similar stats.

PS- WHy cant you get a Lenevo that has a comparable graphics card to the Dell machines?

Aug 26, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
trace™

wait for the Core 2 Duo. Should be out in the next week or two.

Aug 26, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

Core 2 Duo is out now... though there has been a run-on @ the retail level and the 6400/6600/6700's are a little hard to find.

I'm thinking about building a core2 (Conroe) workstation as it would be faster than my current dual opteron rig. The only way I'll not go with a Core 2 Duo (Conroe) system is if AMD drastically drops the prices on ther dual core 280's and 285's.

Aug 26, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I was referring to the Core 2 Duo for laptops (I believe the thread question was about laptops and the M65 is Dell's small workstation laptop) - also known as the Merom.

You can buy the Merom chips, though, but most (including myself) value warranties and not having to build/install, so we wait for Dell to start shipping them in their systems.

Should be very soon, at least from what I've gathered.

Aug 26, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Taesung

If you're starting the MArch I program and you have no real experience in architecture, I'd get a decent machine around $1,500 - 1,800. Knowing your skill set, you're not going to need to buy such a robust laptop within your first year. Granted you'll learn the programs, and do some razzy dazzy stuff, but nothing where maximizing the system. I'd instead save that extra $ for food (please eat, SCI-ARC is horrible for student financial aid), and for a better laptop either in your 2nd or 3rd year. Since your program is 3.5 years, you'll most likely buy a laptop toward your later years, where you'll be able to use that $2,500 - 3,500 laptop to its fullest :).

Too many people live like the Jones'es.

Aug 26, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

Thanks for the info. Although I think it would be worth the money to get a "pretty good" laptop now and not planning on buy another one within the next 2 years. I dont think it is unreasonable to hope 1 laptop will suffice 3 years of M.Arch. Anyone think?

Aug 26, 06 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

I read online that the 512MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 120M TurboCache™ is not good for CAD and like programs, and that the NVIDIA® Quadro FX 350M 512MB Turbocache, OpenGL was MUCH better. However the price difference is about $500. Anyone have either of these or now if the OpenGL card is worth the extra $500?

Aug 26, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

why do you need 512mb of ram? The only reason would be if you are using TONS of maps that need to be cached, or are playing tons of games. Either case, you still don't need 512mb.

Get the Quadro FX 1500M 256mb. Again, it's the quality of the card that matters, not the number of mbs.

The FX's ram is dedicated, too. I'd guess "Turbocache" is a snazzy way of saying the 512 on the NVS is not (cheaper cards do this).

Aug 27, 06 9:03 am  · 
 · 
not_here

yeah... 256 video ram is definitely enough unless you are gonna play games.
in the end, it's all about the processor for renderings, and that gets coupled with the actual ram when it comes to actual modeling work.

i love my mbp btw.

Aug 29, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
CC_LA

Okay, so I'm leaning towards the Boxx laptop v/s the Dell m90s because overall they've received more positive reviews and they're $300 less than a comparable Dell.

One question. Boxx offers either Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ and I'm going with the AMD since Intel Duo-Core is not yet an option. Is the Athlon 64 X2 4200+ adequate for maya and rhino?

Aug 30, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
CC_LA

Actually just found this Acer for half the price...

Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Processor Class Centrino Coreâ„¢ Duo Processor T2500
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2GB
Memory Speed DDR2 533
Memory Slots (Total) 2
Capacity 120GB
Optical Drive Type DVD±RW
Graphics Description Integrated Graphics
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
Video Memory 256MB

Maybe it makes sense to buy the cheaper one now and invest my third year of school when I have a better idea of how much rendering I'll be doing.

Oh the agony.

Aug 30, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 

colemac30, i wouldn't reccomend a pentium 4 on a laptop. that's what i have now, and it runs super-hot. the P4 for is not even intended to go on a laptop. if you do go with this, make sure you have at least 3 fans on it. the athlon 64 x2 is a real good chip. unless you are getting the new intel core 2's (conroe), AMD is the better chip.

Aug 30, 06 2:16 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Skip the P4. That Boxxtech was a great machine 2 years ago, but it's long outdated.

Colemac30 - that computer basically has no graphic card worth mentioning. The card in the M90 starts at above $500, so consider that (you will be hard pressed to find something cheaper than a Dell, unless you have a great discount).

DON"T FORGET: It's the quality of the card that matters, not the amount of ram!!

Core 2 Duo chips were released yesterday at Dell!!! Yeah!!

My spec'd out M90 is on the way!!!

Aug 30, 06 8:04 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

for vid cards you want to look for the # of pixel pipes (amung other things)... that has much more of an impact on viewport performance than texture memory.

that's damn exiting about core2's in lappys... I wonder if dell includes a generous BIOS ... well, generous enough for overclocking :)

Aug 30, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
CC_LA

Thanks for the intervention. I've spec'd out a Dell Core2.

Trace you suggested the NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1500M, 256MB graphics card-- do you recommend it over the NVIDIA® Quadro FX 2500M, 512MB?

Aug 30, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Well, it's just cash, right? Then go for the 2500!! Should only be another $250 or so. ;-)
Honestly, I dont' know the difference besides the mb and cash. I usually just get the best I can afford and leave it at that.

Make sure you get the WUXGA.

fyi, I spec'd the 2500 in my M90 (hint: bargain with them, they have some flexibility)

Aug 30, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

from this page: (the mobile GPU's are in the middle)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

The 2500 uses more than 2x the power (@max) than the 1500 so the only way I'd go with the 1500 is if you're overly concerned about battery life... but you'll proabably be plugged in >80% of the time anyway... I'd get the 2500 and enjoy speedy(ier) viewports since the price diff isn't all that much anyway!

the m90 does look like a good deal for a lappy... though just think what you could do with that budget in a desktop with an OC'd Conroe (Core2)?!!

Aug 30, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

the graphics card shouldn't be a priority.

Aug 30, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

somewhat related:

MacBook Pro a Lemon?
The sooner apple realizes it should stick to software it will be better for all of us

Aug 30, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

I feel like I have a decent grasp on processing, RAM, etc...but all this talk of graphics cards and viewports and pixel pipes has totally lost me...is it speed to display things? or the ability to reproduce things accurately? what do 3d cards have to do with all this? I've only ever really thought about resolution in terms of display.....

Can someone give a quick layman's explanation about the graphics side of the equation for someone looking at a computer for arch school?

Aug 30, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

strugs...i spoke to the IT guy at columbia who only recommended a dell - precision m65 or m90 (that is, if you are interested in a laptop). and don't worry - these weren't on the latest recall list ;)

Aug 30, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

...that is, if you're going to columbia

Aug 30, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
jmill

how about student discounts at dell?
anybody got info on this or a link possibly?

Aug 30, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

dells are shit..im glad they are losing money hand over fist

Aug 30, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

ha...

I'm still confused though...what di the better graphics spec provide? If your machine is slow to render something in a program, does that have something to do with the graphics chip/card/thingy? I thought processor speed and RAM would make a difference there....does it just display things quicker, or does it actually show things differently/better?

Aug 30, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

strugs, don't worry, in reality it's far more complicated than people here have it - most are oversimplifying or just plain wrong.

:)

bottom line: if you can afford a non-NVS quadro or firegl, and will be doing lots of 3d modeling in an openGL application, and (maybe) know how to enable the proper settings in order to take advantage of them, then buy a Non-NVS quadro or fireGL. otherwise, buy a radeon x1600 or higher or whatever the midrange geforce is at the moment.

Here's a slightly more accurate oversimplification: the graphics card controls your display (screen). if your display has 2d or 3d geometry calculations to do in order to display something, the graphics card is able to accelerate most of those calculations. Virtually all modern graphics cards can handle 2d just fine,

3d is more complicated. different programs (and different operations in different programs) use the resources of a 3d card in different ways, so blanket statements as to what is needed for what are generally not very useful.

there are two general classes of graphics cards: workstaion cards (firegl and quadro) and consumer cards. in reality they're basically the same thing, but the workstation cards have access to an expanded library of operations, some of which increase speed under certain conditions, and some of which allow for better quality under certain conditions.

these "certain conditions" are many types of things that people do in 3d modeling in OpenGL applications. Model alot in wireframe mode? enable hardware AA lines and the lines of your model just got alot easier to read.

Higher resolution displays need more graphics processing power for equivalent performance - there are simply more pixels to calculate.

more powerful graphics cards use more power. Personally, I think the quadro 2500 is pointless in a laptop.

in the big picture, pixel pipes don't mater much. it's a reference to one aspect of some graphics processor designs, and is really only a useful comparison in the same card family (7800gt vs 7800gtx, the gtx has 4 more pipes, along with different memory and core speeds)

Aug 30, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

and yes, when you hit the "render" button, from there on out the graphics card has nothing to do with it.

Aug 30, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

"strugs, don't worry, in reality it's far more complicated than people here have it - most are oversimplifying or just plain wrong.

:)"

Aug 30, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

Anyone know if the Core 2 processors will be on the Dell Latitude (D620 or D820) notebooks any time soon, or at all?

Aug 30, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

Nevermind, I guess as of today you can buy the Dell Latitude D620 with the Core 2 processor.

I like this better than the Dell Precision M65 because it is lighter (easier to carry) and has a 14 inch LCD screen and it is about $600 less. However, it has the 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache. I am wondering if this is a fast enough graphics card to do CAD and rendering? I am a new M.Arch student so I havent gotten into the nitty gritty of 3D modeling, but I would like a computer that will suit be for a couple of years.

Aug 31, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Just get a Dell XPS, and load it up as much as you can. It's the mcmansion of the laptop computer world!

Aug 31, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

The are expensive as hell! (Dell XPS)

Aug 31, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: