Archinect
anchor

Finance and architecture

A1

Hello archinecters,

Do any of you know of any jobs in finance for architects? How do you go into the field? Thanks.

Aug 18, 06 1:33 pm
some person

Like CFO of an architecture firm?

All I know is that:
1. If you're talking about an amount that's less than $1,000, it's pronounced "fine-ance"
2. If you're talking about an amount that's greater than $1,000, it's pronounced "fih-nance"

Aug 18, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
A1

Not quite. Maybe I should have said "banking and architecture". I had in mind something like real estate analyst but I was wondering if there is a job in that field that is more related to architecture.

Aug 18, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I see...thanks for the clarification.

I used to work as a facility planner, and many of my co-workers either had only financial backgrounds or combined architecture and financial backgrounds. Basically, I focused on "everything that occurs on a project before the architect is hired," including client visioning, programming - which is tied to the project budget, feasibility, etc.

Try a search for "feasibility study" as it relates to construction - you may be well-suited for this kind of work. But don't be disappointed if you don't get to design anything. (That's the reason I left the field and returned to architecture.)

Aug 18, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
A1

OK, I'll look it up!

Aug 18, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

look over Amazon's real estate developer books. Everything with developing is tied to finance and money, from feasibility studies to banking and loans.

There are also degrees you can get and certificates. Any real estate development book will cover some of this (feasibility studies, cash flow diagrams, etc.). You can surely find books specifically geared towards the financial side.

Personally, I find it both fascinating and extremely boring.

How much you get to dig your fingers into 'architecture' will most likely depend on the firm you work for, but as DCA points out, I'd doubt you would have anything to do with design beyond saying 'that's too expensive, make it cheaper' to the architect.

Aug 18, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
A1

Thank you trace and DCA. I had no idea where to begin looking for information on this subject!
Your advice really helped :)

Aug 22, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A1, I know a woman who graduated with a degree in architecture, got registered, got a second degree in Government Administration, and went to work at Public Financial Management (possibly the most boring business name ever, IMO), dealing with capital planning and whatnot for governments. Honestly I'm not sure exactly what she did, but she loved her work.

Aug 22, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Might be tied in to feasibility studies, but architectural or construction cost estimating might be another area to consider.

Aug 22, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you are interested in finance, real estate development, banking, mortgage lending, etc, you definitely do not need an architecture background or degree. you may want to get some background in construction management, but you really don't need to spend your time doing what architects do.

Aug 22, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
A1

vado retro- I hear you, I just thought I could somehow combine the two in one job

Aug 22, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

The problem with the money in most projects is they are not experienced in construction methods and sequencing. Start talking to them about rythym, color, structure or proportion and the conversation quickly returns to, "ok and explain to me again why the steel needs to be ordered by Monday."

The problem with the builder in most projects is that they are many times set on the most efficient method of construction and while they have a very strong handle on the costs of the project and the methods of construction more often than not they will laugh when you begin to speak about rythym, color, structure or proportion. The builder is not an innovator unless it makes sense to the bottom line.

The problem with the design team in most projects is that they are rooted in philosophy, code and the world of ideas. They do not understand the impact of a detail or the cost implications of their decisions. Many times they too do not understand the construction process.

The field is too fragmented. Cross borders and learn as much as you can about all of it. That is what an Architect should do. Then settle where you feel most comfortable. Having a black sketch book with pretty little pictures of the Danube does not make you an Architect.

Aug 22, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

did anyone say it does, wurdan?

i know some dumb builders who don't care about merits of design, but i don't work with them. we do a design, cost it, change it if we need to, build it...there is no debate or divide between builders and architects of the kind you outline. i think that is mostly a myth.

good luck with the finance-ifying, A1. be warned it is not a designers business. it really isn't.

Aug 22, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
some person

ah...yes, broccolijet's suggestion of a cost estimator is a good one. A good owner will want her cost estimator to work hand-in-hand with the architect to maintain the design integrity of the project while still delivering the project on-budget. Former architects can make good estimators because they often respect the work that the architect is trying to do.

Aug 22, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go into finance

work for a year or two

hire an architect to build that $10million house you have always wanted

Aug 23, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
A1

mdler, do you really think that 2 years working in finance will enable a a person to build a $10 million house? If so, after working there I could hire myself to do it , ha, ha.

Aug 24, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
trace™

no need to hire that architect if you have a degree in architecture. make the money and design it yourself. just get someone qualified to make sure it'll stand.

Aug 24, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

archinects are needed for the stamp not for the design...

Aug 24, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
bhardy

I have my MBA in Finance (Real Estate Focus) and my M.Arch and I am currently working as an intern knocking off my IDP day-by-day. I get to use a little finance/business acumen on a regular basis helping out people with random tasks around my office. But mostly just for me on the weekends with some broker friends by putting together proformas for some rental property we were going to buy. I helps to be able to look at a financial set of numbers and not only to not be intimidated by it, but to be able to give a judgement as to the quality. If your interested in learning more about finance ULI has a great number of educational books, as well as occasional lecture/learning series. Also look into the classes sponsored by CCIM.

Thanks,

-brent

Sep 1, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
A1

Thanks brent for your insight. But just curious: why didn't you chose to work in real estate instead of working in architecture?

Sep 1, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: