Archinect
anchor

Inspriing performing and creative arts spaces/buildings

LostInSpace

Lovely people - I'm looking for precedents of beautiful and inspriring performing/creative arts spaces/buildings, relative to academic institutions more then purely civic. Preferably in an urban setting.

Not to be obvious but by arts I'm talking, theatre, dance, film, music, as well as media, painting, sculpture, photography. Preferably all in one building/complex.

Thanks.

Aug 18, 06 10:22 am
James Mayers

Wow. That's a tall order, I was going to say Laban Centre by HdeM but then I read the rest of the thing...

Aug 18, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

Well I list the ideal, but am willing to accept substitutes. Anything in the same vein is much appreciated. Boiled down - think academic performing arts spaces/buildings.

Thanks.

Aug 18, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Yes, tall order to meet - Is this sort of in the line of what you are looking for? It has a concert hall, theatre, dance studio, practice rooms & an arts library. I'll see what else I can find.

Aug 18, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

...and I don't know how beautiful and inspriring you think it is, but its a start:)

Aug 18, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

The Kimmel Center in Philadelphia comes to mind because it is so urban.

However, the owner tried to sue Viñoly.

And I guess it isn't tied to an academic institution, but it's worth a good look anyways.

Aug 18, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

If you are truly looking at academic precedents, you may also want to try boarding schools such as Groton. There has been a trend in the past decade or so to build new arts facilities.

Aug 18, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

Thanks Katze - it's ironic that you mentin that firm for reasons I can't get into, well I find it neither inspiring or beautiful - but it is good to see what's out there.

DCA - yeah, it'sa real drag about the Kimmel trying to sue Viñoly, great article, illuminates many of the factors involved in a great "place". I'll tkae a look at Groton.

Aug 19, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

worked on the brandeis campus center with charles rose architects...
it has a theater...but also on the campus they have a performing
arts building that's pretty nice. not an urban setting though.
and they also have the rose art museum which houses the visual arts.

feel like there should be a bunch of these buildings..but can't think of any off the top of my head.

Aug 24, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

the kentucky center for the arts in louisville isn't bad. the original mid-80s building, by crss i think, was mediocre/bland but very serviceable. the recent additions and renovations by local firm bravura kicked it up a few notches.

sorry i couldn't find photos of interiors online.

Aug 24, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

the performing arts center by moneo in san sebastian
is rather nice. semi urban setting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39604163@N00/188959439/

Aug 24, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson
Aug 24, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Lincoln Center is my dunderheaded suggestion...not necessarily for what it is, but for what it will be when DS+R have finished their transformation

whether you feel it's beautiful or inspiring, i don't know, but the only criteria it doesn't address is the painting/sculpture/photo aspect...

Aug 24, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
A1

J. Nouvel- Luzern Concert Hall

Not all the things you asked for, but a great building in a an urban setting.

http://www.jeannouvel.fr/

http://www.kkl-luzern.ch/navigation/top_nav_items/start.htm

Aug 25, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

believe it or not,
omaha, nebraska has a nice new performing arts center.

i think it is called the 'Holland Performing Arts Center'

Sep 2, 06 5:27 am  · 
 · 
snooker

This is where I will be today....if it isn't raining....well I should say outside on the lawn...listening and watching Evis Costello... [ulr=http://www.tpcworld.com/ports.asp?cat=s&id=49]link[/url]

Sep 2, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
snooker

try this again:

Sep 2, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
snooker

tanglewood ozawa hall Lennox Mass

Sep 2, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
snooker
Sep 2, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: