Archinect
anchor

Best overall Canadian architecture program poll

crgixxer

What, in your opinion, is the best Canadian architecture program.
Let's limit the discussion to the program, and not delve into the city in which the program resides.

alternatively (as most students probably only know one or two schools at most)

in a couple words list the strongest aspect of each school each schools.

Here's my two bits....

UofM : Stong theory
Dalhousie: Co-op
McGill: Access to CCA

Aug 17, 06 7:38 pm

place is impt, especially for an archt. if you can i would def advise going to bartlett or aa just for the location...

i can't really offer a rank, but know something about UofM (did undergrad and grad school there).

>>now getting very well shook up with profs from bartlet, berlage, cooper union, and cetera.

>>profs are young and in a hurry to make a new paradigm for canadian arch-ed, so it could be very interesting to be there in the near future.

>>students often win the national awards, and go on to work all over the damn place, including in my case London, and now tokyo.

good luck.

Aug 17, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I don't really think you can say which is best... Depends on what you are looking for, and what profs you get, what people you work with and can learn from.

U of T and UBC are strong in theory, they also have the edge of being in schools with strong graduate programs in other disciplines which makes taking graduate seminars in other departments possible... When I was at UBC, sometimes there are joint seminars which I always found to be eye opening... The thing is about theory: architecture programs in general may touch on theory, but I think they are always a professional and a design program first and theory is generally a bit watered down vs. graduate students in other arts departments. In other words, architects don't read as much as other academics. Interdisciplinary seminars are valuable I think...

Waterloo is also a great coop option, like Dalhousie. Carleton is a bit more of an "arty" architecture program, and has some good stuff coming out there.

There was a thread on Canadian M.Arch programs somewhere if you do a search.

Aug 18, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Just another thought: I think it is also good to look at the post-professional or research masters programs offered at architecture schools... Even if you are doing an M.Arch. I think professors who are involved in research, and other students who do research make for learning opportunities... Also, professors who are practicing architects: who are the consistent profs who are committed to teaching but also know how to get things built, and what is their work like?

Aug 18, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: