Archinect
anchor

Maxwell Materials

im got maxwell loaded up as a plug-in for rhino. i cant seem to access the materials library that maxell provides. i also cant figure out how to creat anything with transparency given the material paramenters they allow you to toy with.

Aug 17, 06 1:44 pm
kylemiller

wow, fired that one off a little to quickly

* IVE got maxwell loaded up
* that MAXWELL provides
* CREATE
* PARAMETERS

Aug 17, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

wow, fired that one off a little too quickly

* IVE got maxwell loaded up
* that MAXWELL provides
* CREATE
* PARAMETERS

Aug 17, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

You should go through the documentation, it is actually quite helpful.

I think that transparency is a function of the Index of Refraction (IOR) in Maxwell. Even opaque materials have an IOR, so IOR of 1 is totally clear, 1.5 is about right for glass, 2.0 for crystal, 3.0 and up is opaque. There is more to it than this, but maybe this will get you started.

Aug 17, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

how can i access the maxwell materials library from rhino? it only lets me first choose the emitter, diffuser, etc and second, effect those parameters. i cant find the .mxm files to apply as a plug-on material to my rhino model.

Aug 17, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

When you open the material editor from Rhino, click "Create." Then just make up a name for your new material, say "Test.mxm." Then it will launch the little window with the "wizard," which allows you to pick the type of base material. Click okay. Then the material will appear in the Rhino material editor. Double click on the material, or click edit, and it will launch the full Maxwell editor. To get the material preview to appear in teh Maxwell editor, double click the preview window. Right click the preview window to set the preview settings.

Aug 17, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

could anyone suggest another plug-in to look into? i primarily model in rhino (and maya soon) and migth need something that is a little quicker than maxwell's output? whats the word on v-ray?

Aug 18, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
word!

vray is really nice... fast and if you are good you can achieve "maxwell like" renderings...

Aug 18, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: