Archinect
anchor

ex pat in china $

cLoo

I was wondering, I'm in a situation where my firm is open to sending me to their china office (for about half a year). However, understandably I would have to take a major cut on my salary. However, my question is what's a reasonable cut where i know I'm not being taken advantage of. I know cost of living in shanghai in terms of rent is comparable to a lot of US cities...but food is cheap. So having over a yr's of work experience and a good american education, where does that put me on a $/month basis?

Aug 16, 06 7:37 pm
Gotan

You should not accept a cut in your salary...

They should pay you more because THEY are sending you away...
meaning...

oversea bonus,
appartment
and maybe 2 plane tickets a year...
etc...

Since it's only 6 months you could as well accept if they make the salary even (and if you want this trip! It's a great experience...)
but a lower salary? No way.

Shanghai is effectively a lot cheaper on some aspects making it possible to spare some economies...( great restaurants for an affordable price, cheap cabs, some good shopping)
but as an expat you will quickly go back to the expats clubs and bars or do some traveling around....bringing the cost of living back to western standards.

There is a wide gap among salaries...
some expats with some experience can make in the 3 figures. Good foreign expats can make above what they make at home. Mid-level as high. Entry level maybe will get something respectable...or if unlucky get closer to the local draftsmen wage that is about 1,000$/monthly

Aug 16, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

their response to me is that the projects can't support me with my current salary (since they are all competition phase). Also what I'm making now is equivalent to what their chinese design lead is making. I don't think there's any way they will be paying more. Also they feel like they are doing me a favor since I was the one that expressed interest first in going. I let them know that I am willing to take a pay cut, as long as I even out due to cost of living. I shouldn't be losing money... Anyway, any tips on how negotiate?

Aug 16, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

oh and is the us govt still taking 30% of what i make in rmb?

Aug 16, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

you should expect to pay around 15%-20% in chineses taxes.

How to negotiate...

ask the salary you want, then bug them with benefits (plane tickets, rent, health insurance, chinese classes, whatever...)...
they'll then give you the requested salary and tell you that it should cover your so-called benefits....

But going there 6 months is more of a joy-ride for you...and it remains a great experience to ''play'' in this high level ballpark. Have fun!

Aug 16, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: