Archinect
anchor

"transparent" t-shirt

archifreak

hi everyone. some time ago I saw an article on some clothes that were "invisible" the guy that had them dressed seemed like he was invisible. The t-shirt projected what happened on the other side of him. I am sorry if I didn't explain myself too well, but english is not my native language, and it's kind of hard for me to explain, how this t-shirt looked. I f anyone could help me out it would be great. Thanks

Aug 14, 06 6:52 pm
Becker

sounds like the car off james bond. a more low-tech version are those t-shirts for fat people with hot bodies on them.

Aug 14, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

try searching --> active optical camaoflage or phase array optics

Aug 14, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Susumu Tachi of Tokyo. You can also find some really neat video footage as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2003-02-07-see-through_x.htm

Aug 15, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
archifreak

exactly what i was looking for. Thank you so much

Aug 15, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

it's here? i thought it was five years away.

thread title sounds pervy. either wet t-shirt contest or emperor's new clothes ...

Aug 15, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I thought this thread was about a new variety of archinect t-shirts...

Aug 16, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Should we take offense at the fact that Heather's article proposes making buildings disappear under an invisibility cloak?

Aug 16, 06 6:39 am  · 
 · 
bRink
Light waves would flow around an object hidden inside the metamaterial cloak just as water flows virtually undisturbed around a smooth rock.

It would not simply block out light, or prevent its reflection, as in conventional "stealth" technology. Whatever direction it is viewed from, the light bending round the hidden object would make it appear to have vanished.

"The hard job is to get the rays of light to pass in a smooth curve around the object," said Prof Pendry.

"You can't dump them just anywhere. They have to be deposited so that they're travelling in the same direction they started from. It is a tall order, but theoretically possible."

Metamaterials have already been demonstrated by Professor David Smith, from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, one of the US scientists who contributed to the Science paper.

These materials can be made to interact with light or other electromagnetic waves in very precise ways.

"The cloak would act like you've opened a hole in space," said Prof Smith.

"All light or other electromagnetic waves are swept around the area, guided by the metamaterial to emerge on the other side as if they had passed through an empty volume of space."

the question i have is: how would other surrounding materials and objects affect / distort the invisibility cloak? what if you were to submerge the material in water? or if it got rained on?

also: what happens if you don't *wrap* the object with the material? what if it is just a sheet? is it possible to have *operable* invisibility? (eg. turn this sturctural stone wall on and off?, maybe with an operable curtain wrapper?

i'm not sure i understand how this thing works in terms of buildings...

does the material require two sides of a sheets? one to receive light and another to direct where the light continues to travel from in its direct path? if that's the case, could you, say wall paper two sides of a wall and still see through it? what about ceiling material? or i guess it seems like this would only be applicable to exterior objects, or objects sitting in a room...? in other words, you couldn't make *anything* transparent... if you wallpapered a closed room, you wouldn't be looking outside, right? what *would* you see if you turned it inside out and stood inside it? would the material just freak out and you'd go blind or implode or be driven mad...

ok... rereading, "just as water flows virtually undisturbed around a smooth rock"seems to mean that the material has to be continuous and smooth for the light to behave that way... i guess directional...? so maybe you could make columns along a path invisible? what happens if you wallpaper a corridor that bends? can you use it to see around corners?

Aug 16, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

bRink -

I think the material just has to be wet for it to work.

Aug 16, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

LB, I think some architects might find it useful for draping over buildings and trees that obstruct the view of their buildings as well as draping over people and things that clutter up their buildings.

Aug 16, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

i see... so it does work in water...

Aug 16, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: