Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants - Final Results, Decisions, Stats, etc.

ar.ash

@casafelice

no .i didnt attend any such interview !

@andrew.haas

i have no clue and even i got accepted without any interview !

Mar 31, 12 2:37 am  · 
 · 
archinet

...congratulations to all of you for great portfolio's and results!!

...however I find it a bit disconcerting that  most if not all the people that got scholarships are male? probably mostly guys post their stats.

@jpugarte1 your portfolio is great...however the last project...some of the most important explanations of your diagrams are in Spanish??? eh?? so I am assuming whoever reviewed your portfolio is fluent in spanish? I mean it must be important to understand all those technical explanations for a sustainable urban proposal....whatever you got in m.arch 2 congrats!!

Apr 1, 12 9:29 am  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

@archinet,

hahah thanks. The last project was developed for a public contest in Chile. All those texts were done in autocad (instead of indesign, which would've been much more intelligent). So, when I created my portfolio, that was the last project to be included, and I was just too tired to translate those texts to english. However, I tried to explain the project's main aspects in english. Also, I thought "If I'm getting at any program, having that spanish texts won't make a difference. And if I'm not getting at any, translating them to spanish won't help me either".

Apr 1, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

I have seen and been asked by profs before about certain applications, and I do know what matters more or as much as the portfolio is the essay, marks and letters. The portfolio only really matters when getting put into M.arch2, (I did not go to the GSD btw so maybe its different there). I guess overall yours was good enough as it was with or without that final project compared to the other portfolio's. Still weird nobody asked you about what those diagrams actually say

whatever you got in- congrats

Apr 1, 12 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Building

@Jasonchen

Were you applying to M. Arch II programs?  Their grad school in general doesn't have as many applicants as the other schools because they do not have an M. Arch I program, but they do have a very good reputation.  They are mostly known for offering free tuition to all of their students and having a great location in the heart of Manhattan, which makes it a very popular destination for those who are eligible and make it in.  Hell, it would be my first choice if i had a B. Arch.  I don't know how big the program is exactly, but keep in mind that the DesignIntelligence rankings generally favor larger schools because employers are more likely to have exposure to graduates of those schools.

Apr 2, 12 1:31 am  · 
 · 
The Great Northern

bump

Apr 2, 12 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

- 24 // Male // American

only applied to M.Arch I programs:

- IN : YALE (3 years, $$) // MIT (3.5 years, fellowship $$) // BERKELEY (2 years) // GSAPP and PENN (3 years, minimal financial aid)

- OUT: UCLA

Having a really hard time deciding, but feel fortunate to be in this position. Haven't seen Yale yet. If MIT had given me advanced placement 2.5 years it would be the clear favorite. Berkeley's 2 years, no winter coat, limited stress, and possibly best post-graduation job market is all attractive. Confident I can make good work wherever I go. 

Decisions!

Apr 6, 12 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
batman

ryan - stats and portfolio? congratz on your acceptances!

and qusetion - what makes you think Berk will have limited stress? real question as I want to know. I love limited stress as well. 

Apr 6, 12 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
batman

oh you were probably referring to the 2.5 years as oppose to 3-3.5

Apr 6, 12 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
hzng

@ ryan

in similar position as you. got financial aid from yale but berkeley is very tempting as well.. you said the CED provides 'possibly best post-graduation job market'.. care to share more? thanks!

Apr 12, 12 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Buff03

32 Male/Caucasion

GPA 2.86/ Economics/University of Colorado Boulder

GRE with new format: 154 Math (67%tile) 157 Verbal (77%tile) 4.5 writing (72%tile)

Strengths: Work and life experience --4 years as an Army Officer stationed in Germany and 1 year in Iraq, 4 years working in Corporate America in insurance.  Certificate in Architectural Graphics from local community college ( I know REVIT, 3ds Max and AutoCAD), Portfolio?? -- lots of hand drawn pieces with some additional 3d Modeling renderings thrown in as well.

Weakness: Undergrad GPA

In: University of Houston, Texas A&M, UT San Antonio

Out: UT Austin

Waiting: UT Arllington, University of New Mexico

Going to University of Houston

Can't wait to get started. As a Texas resident, I decided to apply to mostly state schools so I wouldn't come out with a mountain of student debt since the industry seems to be very boom/bust and limit my risk exposure.

Apr 13, 12 9:13 am  · 
 · 

@ batman: GRE 164/165/4.5 | GPA 3.6 | maybe i'll upload the portfolio later.

Why I said Berkeley was limited stress: Talking to the students at Berkeley, it just seemed like they used the phrases "really intense" and "lots of late nights" less than at Yale, GSAPP, GSD, and MIT. The quality of life seemed to be higher, as far as architecture school goes anyways. 

@ hzng

Why I said best post-grad job market: Berkeley is only big school in the bay area, San Fran has some major firms and a lot of new money in tech industry. New York and Boston are packed with Ivy league grads, job market is pretty competitive at the best firms. However, an Ivy league education would certainly still carry weight if you wanted to move to Cali or wherever else later in life.

I'm convinced there is no perfect school. Went to the Yale open house yesterday and I'm leaning towards Yale. Berkeley and MIT are both attractive for other reasons. We have two days to decide....by Sunday. 

Apr 13, 12 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

@shawnswisher

did you end up taking Berkeley or UMich? From your post I know we met at the open house, would love to hear where you ended up..

Still haven't sent in the final (will later today), but it looks I am taking Michigan over Cornell and RISD.

Apr 13, 12 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
soali

Co-op, 

What was the impression you got at the Michigan open house? I didn't get to go. Trying to choose between Mich and GSAPP.

Apr 13, 12 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

@The Co-op Guy

I did end up making a decision, and I went with Berkeley. In the end it was not such a tough choice: One year program, research based, small studio setting, great location (and not too far from home). After confirming a few things earlier this week, I made my decision official with the school.

Ultimately, though, the decision was made a lot easier when I saw the difference in mantra between the two schools when it came to dealing with prospective students: at Michigan I felt like a number, and that they had a lot of people behind me on the wait list ready to take my spot, and they could care less if I went there; at Berkeley, they knew my name and worked hard to get me the things I needed to make it possible to go there.

I could get into the details about it, but basically I ended up with this: It's my belief that you should go to a school that wants you, not necessarily the other way around. I hope everyone else was able to find that too!

Apr 13, 12 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
hzng

- 21/female
- Bartlett School of Architecture
-IN:

Yale M.Arch I (3 yrs)+ $

GSAPP M.Arch I (3 yrs)

Berkeley M.Arch II (2yrs) + $$

@Ryan: thanks for sharing! thought i'd just post a bit of details as well.. been sitting on the fence. really torn between yale and berkeley! Was yale's open house really impressive..? 

Apr 13, 12 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
snail

I was impressed by Yale's open house. (I went yesterday.) I've always heard that it was a relatively small and personal program, and that aspect felt really apparent in person.  I will post my portfolio after I decide. For the record, the faculty and administrators whom I met at GSAPP's open house also made themselves very accessible.

Apr 13, 12 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
rhinosucks

@ snail.

I got into both Yale and GSAPP's M.Arch, but I couldn't attend either open houses since I am an international. What do you think about their program, faculties, job opportunities, the students after you visit both of them? Which one do you lean towards right now?

There is only 2 days left to make decision, any comments will be appreciate!

Thank you very much! 

Apr 13, 12 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
snail

@rhinosucks - I wrote about my background in a previous "Yale or Columbia" thread. I think that right now I am leaning towards Yale because of what it would offer me relative to the context of my previous types of experiences, more so than because of any absolute mathematical comparison. The two schools definitely have significant philosophical differences from each other. Think about what your interests are.

Apr 13, 12 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

Is anyone attending Cornell? Seems like most folks I know that were accepted there are not actually attending. For me its hard to turn Cornell down, being the only Ivy I've gotten into. Any takes on their morphing faculty? Seems like most 'new blood' they are bringing in are digital people, maybe trying to fit in to all the other schools going digital? My thoughts are that this is disappointing, since I applied there specifically because they were less digital..

Apr 14, 12 12:07 am  · 
 · 
cardzlawnz

@ soali

Go to GSAPP and hang out with SCHHHHWWWAARRDDZZZZ

Apr 14, 12 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
soali

ughz

Apr 14, 12 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Dugan Nash

24/Male/US

BS Arch/2009/University of Maryland

164V 157Q  5.5

3 Letters; 2 Profs and 1 Employer

OUT:

YSOA, Berkeley, WUSTL, Mich

IN:

UO, UW 2+, UVA + AP, Syracuse + AP&$

Impressions: 

UW: GOOD:Liked Seattle a lot, despite the weather, and its a pretty architect friendly place. UW appealed to me much on the amount of hands on work you get to do with furniture and design/build studios. Also, the certificate program was a unique aspect (lighting, urban design, design computing, historic reservation). They've got the pragmatic stuff down pat, BAD: but I got the serious sense of a lack of theoretical and even historical emphasis on design ,and i think it showed in all the work they had posted, in and around the main building. Also, there is certainly the pervasive NorthWest regional style, which is UW bread and butter. Its cool if you are from there, or plan to move there. But it would be a bit ironic for me to study at a school 3000 miles away tp learn a regional method of design.

Syracuse: GOOD: Strong faculty which seemed to have excellent connections to many many cutting edge of practitioners. Getting to meet and observe offices of OMA, Eisenmann ect... and having visiting critics such as Bjarke Ingeles, speaks to these connections. Also, There are many ways to get out of Syracuse (sem abroad, may-mester or summer sem abroad, even the occasional studio project abroad) which all fit nicely with the overall curriculum. Lots of opportunities to get money to help fund yr education. They also seemed to have an excellent balance of empahsis on building technology and theory and history all while encouraging exploration of a broad ranges of design methods. BAD: Well, it is Syracuse, NY. Also, I sat in on some pinups for second semester students (where I would be starting with my 1 sem AP) and it all seemed very elementary and much behind where I'd like to be at the moment. Not sure what this is indicative of, as much of the program seemed very strong. Plus, not much of a chance to get my hands dirty.

UVA: GOOD: Charlottesville is the jam. Small and intimate studio sizes with very accessible faculty. They have one of the best graduate deign/build programs in the country imho (ecoMOD). They have curriculum which balances very well several elements including building technology, theory, history, sustainability and design. And most importantly, their approach to design matches most closely with mine: from the social and ethical. Also, if you wanna be a TA, there are more than enough positions available. Lastly, it is very interdisciplinary, with ARCH/MLA students often in the same studios or at least working right next to each other. The dual degree programs and awesome, and the studio environment was the best of any school I visited...very open and collaborative. BAD: While C-Ville is ill, its not near a big city (Seattle), nor closely tied to one (Syracuse-NYC). Also, They lack some of the resources of, say, Syracuse as study abroad isn't super strong. Also, there is a bit of lack of research opportunities, at least at first glance. But the faculty is so accessible and willing to help you out with your interests, or fit them with thier's that it may not be an issue.

OU: Didin't visit, but seemed, in many ways, similar to UW, save for maybe a bit less of an emphasis on NW style and more on sustainability, but overall weaker than UW. However, they are pretty affordable.

Decision: UVA. They fit my interests the closest and also seem like a pretty good value. Not to mention, UVA also has one of the best Business Schools (Darden) and Law Schools in the US, so it can't hurt to rub shoulders with the people who will be able to afford to hire me in the future.

Apr 15, 12 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Bench

22/Male/Canadian

Canadian equivalent of a BS. Arch 2012, Dalhousie University

Maj: 3.45, Cum: 3.65, V:157 / Q:157 / W:5.0

In: Syracuse + $10k (AP pending...), Dalhousie

Out: Michigan 2G

And now it comes to the decision I figured I'd have to deal with all along: going to a much better school - or staying at Dal where the whole degree will cost less than 1 semester at Syracuse. Pretty hard decision; I went to Syracuse's open house and was blown away by the quality of pretty much everything they showed us, the teaching, the studios, the labs, the work (at least in relation to where I'm coming from; I'm not interested in the Ivies or anything like that).

At this point I actually think I may defer for a year and work. If any Canadians who had to make a similar Cost vs. Quality / CND vs. USA decision are on here I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm also considering re-applying next year to Waterloo & Carleton, and possibly Notre Dame & Oregon.

Apr 18, 12 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
J_Alcanfor

- 26 // Male // California

- BA Communications: TV/Film // Vanguard University // 2007

-3.3 GPA

- Attended UTSOA's Summer Academy 2011

Made sure to cover my bases. Applied to 8 schools and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

- IN:

UT Austin

UW Seattle

UC Berkeley

Pratt

Parsons

CUNY

- OUT:

Cooper Union

UCLA

I've narrowed it down to Berkeley, UT Austin and Parsons (all three very different schools). I'm still waiting to hear about funding from a couple so I can make a clear choice. UT and Parsons both have a design/build element that is attractive to me and the network for future job prospects seems strong at both schools. Although, so does Berkeley's. I would love to start a career in NYC upon graduation, but the cost of attendance/living during school is daunting.

Decisions, decisions...Either way, I am very excited to have these choices available to me and I look forward to being back in school come fall!

Apr 18, 12 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@Alcanfor, while not true for all schools, public and state schools (like Cal and UTSOA) tend to feel financial woes more strongly than private schools (like Parsons). One big reason I did not even apply to Berkeley was because I've seen what kind of cuts that school has had to make in the past 5+ years.

Apr 18, 12 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
batman

no one is posting portfolio anymore 

Apr 18, 12 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
J_Alcanfor

@byen01, I hear you on that. Not to mention tuition is skyrocketing. Did you apply to schools this season? 

Apr 18, 12 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
joker

Why so serious, batman? I notice you're not posting your portfolio either.

Apr 18, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
soali

Finally got word from UCLA so final results...

22/Male/South Asian American
B.A. in Art History, Minor in History of Architecture, UT-Arlington 2012 
Two undergraduate studios + intro to arch at GSAPP
Major: 4.0, Cumulative: 3.3ish, 

In: U.Mich (10k + 5k in grants), Pratt (15k), GSAPP and UCLA
Out: GSD and Rice

Portfolio: http://issuu.com/soali/docs/soali

Heading to Michigan.. fits my interests best and will probably end up with minimal debt if I play my cards right.

Apr 18, 12 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@Alconfor, though on the flip side, Cal and UTSOA are still cheaper than Parsons (I think?), so, ya know, two sides of the same coin. And haha, funny that refer to it as a season. Yep, going to the GSD for my MLA.

Apr 18, 12 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
w8d8s

23 // Male // American

- B.A. Government // College of William & Mary // 2011

- GSD Career Disco; 5 architectural design studios at W&M (part of the art department there); 1 year of professional experience in urban ,design, planning and city management in a small town.

- 3.75 GPA

- GRE:   verbal: 550  //  Quant. 740  //  Analytical 4.5   

- 4 letters (2 professors, 1 employer, 1 instructor from GSD career discovery) 

- IN:
      Penn (dual M.Arch/M.C.P + $8k scholarship), GSAPP (M.S.U.P.), Virginia Tech (M.Arch.3), NC State (M.Arch Track 3 + In-state tuition + ~$3k scholarship)

-OUT:

GSD (M.Arch I and M.U.P.), GSAPP (M.Arch)

- CHOICE: NC State (but still a Tarheel fan!)

- REASON: I was really excited about the PennDesign dual Arch / Planning program, but after the open house this spring I decided that it would not worth the massive debt. Although VT is an excellent program with a lot to offer, I ended up deciding on NC State for several reasons: many faculty members have strong interests in urban planning and design, NC State is close to family and friends, and I get in-state tuition plus a merit scholarship. Can't beat that.

Apr 18, 12 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
batman

^ hey w8d8s

Would you mind telling me what job position/environment/firm you did in your experiences of urban, design, planning and city management?

I am trying to look for a similar job experience in Los Angeles

Apr 19, 12 2:55 am  · 
 · 
w8d8s

@batman - I worked for a long-range urban planning office as part of a city revitalization/infill development effort in a small town in Beaufort, South Carolina. The urban planning in Beaufort is now basically taken over by New Urbanist / Form-Based Code / Neo-Traditional types, which is both interesting and aggravating at the same time. Beaufort is doing some great things like creating a Rail-Trail Greenway and emphasizing infill over suburban development.

Then I switched over into city management, learning how to fund the planning projects and run the city's services on a day-to-day basis. I think that working in a small town helped me gain a lot of critical experience that I may not have received in trying to start out in a larger city (I was given many responsibilities very quickly). And I hope that it will help me in my pursuit of an architectural career.

I don't know how small LA is these days, though...

Apr 19, 12 9:18 am  · 
 · 
batman

@w8d8s

thanks for the info. Trying to look for something like your job experience, but don't know where or what firm to start. thanks for the info!

Apr 19, 12 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
batman

JOKER! my life-long nemesis

Apr 19, 12 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

Where did you get into Batman?

Apr 20, 12 8:34 am  · 
 · 
batman

GSAPP

Apr 20, 12 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
3Ecologies

- 23/Male/American
- B.Arch / 2012

- ~3.4

- V160/Q162/A5.5
- 2 professor Req. / 1 employer Req.
- TA positions, personal statement, writing sample

IN: Harvard MDesS +$$

Out: MIT SMarchS

Wait list: Columbia MSCCCP

Final Decision: GSD already being my first choice, I am golden with that!

Apr 20, 12 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

how good is the ucla march 2 program? and are there funding options available once one gets there? and do students get jobs easily after masters?

Apr 20, 12 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
baran

has anybody heard from  V.Tech waiting list?

Apr 23, 12 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
buzz8177

- 26 // Male // Taiwanese

- B.Arch // Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan // 2009

- 3.34 GPA

- GRE:    verbal 670  // quantitative 800 // analytical 3.0
-TOEFL iBT: 94

- 4 letters of rec. 4 from studio prof from undergrad, 

- IN:
Columbia GSAPP, MSAAD
Cornell, MArch. II 
Pratt GAUD, MS: Architecture (post-professional) + $25000

- OUT:
Princeton, Yale, GSD (MArch. II & MAUD), MIT (SMArchS), Cooper, Upenn, Delft

-Portfolio: http://issuu.com/buzz8177/docs/portfolio-upload

-Decision : Columbia GSAPP, MSAAD

Apr 23, 12 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
tmly

buzz8177, just curious has any of either GSAPP or Cornell offer you any scholarship or aid?

Apr 24, 12 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

- B.A. in Architectural Studies // UCLA

- IN: UCLA, Yale +$$

- OUT: Harvard, Princeton

- Decision: Yale (M. Arch I)

Knowing that both schools would offer me a great education, I had a hard decision to make. As a Californian my entire life, I felt the need to leave the nest and get out of my comfort zone. To 3 years (at least) on the East Coast, cheers.

Apr 25, 12 3:30 am  · 
 · 
buzz8177

@tmly

Cornell didn't offer me scholarship and Columbia stated clearly that they don't provide scholarship to international students.

Apr 25, 12 11:51 am  · 
 · 
SCIARCer

23 / Male / INDIA / BE in Information Technology (Absolutely NO design experience !)

GPA :: 3.6

Took 4 months off from everything, after graduation in JULY 2011, to give GRE & TOEFL and to move in with my friend of 4th year B.Arch. Learnt a lot by helping her with her projects. Learnt AutoCAD , SketchUP and RHINO. Made 3 amazing projects specially for my application. Made few hand drawings. Learnt photoshop from youtube and made my portfolio. Had a lot of fun. Glad its all over.

GRE :: ver 640 quant 780 awa 3.5

TOEFL :: 112

Applied :: Cornell, UMich, UTSOA, SCI-Arc, RISD, Syracuse and Pratt 

Accepted :: UTSOA, SCI-Arc and RISD ($$)

Going to :: SCI-Arc !!!!!! My dream school. Cornell was the first choice but would not have been such an incredible experience as I am sure SCI-Arc would be. 

I wanted to sincerely thank Archinect .. its because of this website I was exposed to such amazing insight about schools thousands of miles away ... Couldn't have done without Archinect. 

Apr 28, 12 10:28 am  · 
 · 
SCIARCer

..and of course all of you guys on it !

Apr 28, 12 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

- 24/Male/ INDIA

- B.ARCH ( 5 years)

- IN: UIUC , IIT, Texas A&M (all 2 year M.Arch.)

- OUT: YALE, COLUMBIA

Just got news on the TAMU offer. mostly is cuz someone else dropped out. anyways would love to hear from anyone who could tell me which of the above three would be most reputable for M.ARCH? Also i heard the M.Arch at TAMU focus is on health - care design only. Is this true?

I am mostly inclined towards UIUC architecture ( being one of the 'big ten') but then IIT is in Chicago ..much better for architectural exposure?

Apr 29, 12 8:00 am  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

HI there 

I just got an admission confirmation from NJIT 

Please help to decide with it..

How good is NJIT in graduation education...

Thanks

Apr 30, 12 5:46 am  · 
 · 
amyforarchi

21 / Female / United States

Bachelor of Science in Architecture / University of Michigan / 2012

GPA: 3.77

GRE Scores: V: 158 Q: 161 W: 5.5

Four letters of recommendation, from four different studio professors from undergrad program.

Things that stand out: my architectural philosophy (maybe?), my essay, probably the recommendations.

Prep: installation classes, graphic design, in addition to my entire architectural undergrad

IN: UIC, Michigan, Berkeley, Cornell, Harvard

OUT: Columbia

I only went to the Harvard GSD open house. I was surprised by how friendly and welcoming it was, and very impressed with the work I saw. At the time, and now, I could absolutely see myself going to school there.

Final Decision: Harvard. A great, well-rounded program with lots of resources and peers with a wide variety of interests.

May 7, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: