Archinect
anchor

Go for a M.ARCH, don't go for an M.Arch??

ripomatic

AHHHHHH. I have no background in architecture. I'm not a brilliant artist and the word engineering terrifies me. BUT I am in love with buildings. I'm very interseted in art, and smart and driven and obsessive about my own personal projects.

Should I go back to school for an M.Arch? Someone, please throw me an idea. I get so envious of the arch students that I meet. But am I just being a romantic about the idea of designing buildings and creating spaces? Or, about how being an architect enables you to physically manifest your own ideas and ideologies?

I'm afraid to walk onto a career path that I may be ill equipt for based on a misinformed dream.

Aug 9, 06 2:09 am
Hasselhoff

Please see 9823982193 threads featuring similar backgrounds: AHHHHHH. I have no background in architecture. I'm not a brilliant artist and the word engineering terrifies me. BUT I am in love with buildings. I'm very interseted in art, and smart and driven and obsessive about my own personal projects.

Doesn't matter. YOu will love it or hate it, but usually can't tell until you do it. You can be a great artist and engineer and be an awful architect and vice versa.

Me for example: geology background, minor interest in art (like making stuff, but not really looking or studying), took one art class in college, like looking at at buildings, did career discovery at GSD, got totally pumped up, going to one of the 'top schools' and doing well, wondering if I will actually make architecture my career.

Aug 9, 06 2:24 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

So, it's a crap shoot? I'm 24, I know I've got some time, but I dont want to be farting around for too long either.

Although, I guess I'm asking for the impossible...uh, can anyone peer into the future for me?

Aug 9, 06 2:34 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

For me, I really feel it was a crap shoot. I guess some people knew it was thier calling if you will. Above is just my example. I knew what I was getting into, long hours, low pay etc, but was really excited. So far, it hasn:t really been what I wanted.

Aug 9, 06 2:51 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

hasselhoff why do you say it hasn't really been what you wanted? were you expecting something else?

Aug 9, 06 5:45 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

(before architecture education )--> AHHHHHH.

(after arch education + after a little experience in the real arch world. )

--> aah

;)Yeaaaaaaa

Aug 9, 06 6:44 am  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

why not get a job in an office for a bit?
or
find a firm that will let you job shadow for a couple days... see what you think?

Aug 9, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
seim

maybe try one of the summer programs

Aug 9, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

hey nevermore, your message gives me some encouragement....but can you elaborate?

and hasslehoff, how didn't it live up to your hopes?

Shadowing sounds like a great idea actually, and I'd be able to do it without quitting my current job. I'm into green architecture among other things, I'll look for firms to call.

Aug 9, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sughar

Why not audit a class? Or take a summer program? Or contact you local AIA chapter and see what they are up to. Hell, offer to take an architect out to lunch in exchange for some Q&A.

Aug 10, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
crgixxer
http://www.archinect.com/tshirts/

nuff said

Aug 10, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

why are all of us archinecters every noob's bitch on where to go to school, what degree to choose, or where to work?

Can someone do a tally in the last month or two of threads started relating to these topics?

Aug 10, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you really think you want to be an architect and you have a romantic notion about it, that is about philosophy and meditative contmeplation of the built environment, then i highly recommend that you visit a few offices in the city where you live and see what its really about. from what you've written it seems that you have no real grasp on the profession of architecture.

Aug 10, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

I want to know what a noob is. I'm going to start using that in everyday conversation. "Dude, you're such a noob." Or, "Oh man, I think he got his finger stuck in his noob." Or, "Damn, that girl's noob is all over the place." Awesome.

Aug 10, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

Vado, you're such a pessimist - no wonder you're an architect.

Aug 10, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
LostInSpace

Vado, you're such a noob.

(dman, that would've been better in my last comment)

Aug 10, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

hey vado. you're right man, I don't know much about the profession, that's why I'm asking questions like this, to get a better (or any) idea. It would be helpful if you could give me an explanation from your perspective on what the profession is like...things like that, which you think might be good for me to know

Aug 10, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

but keep in mind...there will always be people who will bitch and complain about their profession. there are also those who i've met who love what they do. so take things critically and look if it's best for you..

Aug 10, 06 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

One of the most interesting things I've learned over the last twenty years is the crucial difference between a love of architecture and being an architect. Loving buildings and doing all it takes to make them are two related but very different enterprises.

The world is full of people who love architecture but don't make it their profession. Instead, they have other jobs (good, bad, highpaying, lowpaying) and belong to preservation groups, read books, go to lectures, watch "This Old House," and go on architectural tours.

Aug 11, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I understand that. The frustrating thing for me right now is trying to figure out where the line is. I mean, a lot of my interest is generated by the fact that more than just loving buildings, I think I would like to be making them as well, and engaging in the types problem solving that come along.

Aug 11, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Exactly. Just where is that line when you're faced with a decision about your career path? A tough call, and one that should be made only after some research and soul-searching. The above advice on trying to get a little time in an architecture office is good; also, try to talk to as many architects as you can for their experience and opinion.

Aug 11, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I work in Midtown Manhattan, and live in Brooklyn. Anyone want to grab coffee with me? I know some of you out there are in my area.

don't worry. i understand this isn't the venue for that, and I'm pursuing local architects on my own, outside of archinect as well.

Aug 11, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
seim

I'll reiterate my suggestion of trying a summer program.

You'll get exposed to what school will be like, what the process of making and design is and will learn some skills in communicating you're ideas that will help you in your first year. Plus, it will potentially give you a portfolio piece. By the end of a summer term, you'll have a good insight/feel of what the process of design is.

Aug 11, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I've heard so much about Harvards summer program, the only catch is that I have a full-time job as a producer at an advertising agency in NYC. It's something to explore though. I'll be making calls today.
....looking into NYC schools, if anyone knows anything about programs there....

Aug 11, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

summer programs are great for understanding what the process of design is but is it a model of professional practice? is there a correlation between academia and practice? and how are they similar?

Aug 11, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
allcaps

Similar advice to above:

I think a summer program is a much better idea than taking a job at an architecture firm.

There are many different types of firms. And a lot of different roles within them. Working at one place will only give you a thin, distorted slice. Plus, architecture is changing so rapidly now. Who knows what it will look like (professionally) in just a few years.

Better to get immersed in the process of design. Maybe it is unrealistic (because in the real world work is tough and design is scarce), but it is better to learn the good stuff rather than finding a great firm/mentor to introduce you to architecture (rare). There is not much of the "good stuff" to go around at most firms, and without experience, you are likely to be kept out of it.

I think you are more likely to love it (architecture) if you do a program.

As a producer at an ad agency, maybe you've got some time/money saved up to take the time off.

Aug 12, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i think if your'e really passionate about architecture, you can find it in a summer program better than you can in real life. and no one gets by in the real world without a strong passion for architecture.

Aug 12, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
escapist

orenstein i feel like i am in a very similar situation to yours. except im not working, im earning an mfa. and i feel like i want to go straight on to an MArch. its a notion i had been considering/struggling with since i graduated college (ultimately decided on the mfa), but cant seem to shake.

also am considering a summer program. i go to parsons now, and i know they have a summer arch intensive, im considering that. does anyone know if theres any info online about the harvard summer prog?

Aug 14, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

In college, it is hard to learn architecture, I only had 6 studio classes, and the rest were useless general courses. I think I lost my desire to study architecture when I hit my 2nd year in college (when I found out about full construction documents), those documents are so damn boring!!! But thats what architects do for 90% of their work! But I am glad I went to arch school, and learned the software that I can use for graphic design as well. So I don't know right now, I can't even get a job! they all want "junior architects" with 2-3 years of experience.... or ultra low pay interns..... what did I get myself into?!?!?!??!?! ahhhh!!!

Aug 15, 06 1:22 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

escapist - I'm in a similiar situation. I'm studying now - doing a master of art curatorship out of all things! I have a science background, and I like to design/make things so I'm not too happy about my masters right now. I've been thinking about architecture since 2nd year of my college years (2000) but have always chickened out because of the discouraging things I've heard. Now I'm seriously thinking about it again, after working in different places and studying different things. I have not found my niche yet and I want to see if architecture is it.

I'm in Australia and there aren't any of those summer programs here. So lately I've been chatting to architects, reading threads on this forum, enrolled in a drawing course, finding out more about architecture schools, reading about architects...

pencebor - do you have a BArch or MArch?

Aug 15, 06 1:34 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

hey guys. you have no idea how good it is to be able to commiserate with others in a similar situation. So far I've found that not having a clear enough idea of the specific responsibilities of an architect and the general processes an architect engages in, has been my largest stumbling block in terms of deciding whether this is for me. I'm also curious about the realistic hardships that come along with being an architect (money, hours, typical pains in the ass). either way, i just found this site a minute ago, check it out. it might actually be helpful.

http://www.aiapgh.org/hiring_phases.html

Aug 15, 06 2:16 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i think if you are

1. passionate about architecture in general (very important) and
2. have a realistic understanding about the profession

then i think it would be safe to go and try that out. you also have to look at things in the long run...will being an architect on the long run be better than being_____. to have little things deter you away from the field might put you out of the big perspective. and again, many other professions out there have their own problems as well, and I think the only way to decide is to see the big picture. take things critically and decide what will best serve you. take heed of other people's advice and opinion but don't base their decisions on yours because everyone is different.

it is probably less of a risk to pursue something that you have more knowledge and passion about than doing something else that you dont' know as much (but definitely keep an open mind and explore other subjects). iit is better to do something that feels what you were made for, than to follow something else and regret having not do what you initially wanted to in the first place (unless you have some other strategy that will allow you to do both). basically, it is better to try than to not even try at all.

Aug 15, 06 3:17 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

"basically, it is better to try than to not even try at all."

yes... I don't want to regret not trying.

sometimes people know exactly what they want to do. it seems quite a number of architects here KNEW when they were 10, that they want to build stuff, that architecture will be their life. but I am not one of them.... I'm still clueless... but I guess its the path towards finding that something that makes live interesting (and difficult/challenging)...Not a lot of people can say they've worked in a botany lab, with a graphic designer, magazine art director, in a music management company, web design/marketing company... (I'm really all over the place!)
I guess it'll also make it special...when you finally figure it out in the end...

Aug 15, 06 3:36 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

miss_j: I just finished my B.Arch, and I am officially jobless... I guess I am in the wrong part of USA (Michigan) I was thinking of moving to NY this fall.

Aug 15, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wasnt complaining i was offering advice. go to some offices see whats going on out there. if you have the drive passion talent etc that can maintain you through the journey go for it. i just think that a person should get some perspective about what it really is. because there is mucho misinformation about what this is as a life. noobs of the world unite!!!

Aug 15, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

noobitecture?

so, vado, or anyone with experience, please tell me some of the essential things about the life/work of an architect that someone in my position should know.

Aug 15, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
escapist

orenstein, i was wondering if you could ask a slightly broader question.

hehe, jk man, not that i wouldnt love to know as well.

oh ps:
http://www.parsons.edu/pre_enrollment/ssa.aspx
yea parsons, woot woot

Aug 15, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

i asked because I need to know, and someone out there will be able to tell me.
the link to parsons is great, thanks man.

oooof. the salary poll. I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for this BUT...is it really that unlikely to make $100K in your 30's, $200K in your 40's, $300K in your 50's. Now, before everyone rushes to shit on me for asking that, keep in mind that it's only a question and not a statement about where I place my values. Money is important to me, but much less important than enjoying what I do and being proud of my work.

Aug 15, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

200K is very uncommon....in almost any profession (cept if you're in medical or law..or finance). a lot of the people on archinect are young architects so most of what you will see is entry-level paying salary for architects (how often do you see someone with more than 10 yrs of experience?). architecture doesn't pay well but interesting thing is the median salary of an architect is actually slightly higher than that of accountants (according to bls.gov), and a little less than that of an engineer. I think pay in architecture is mainly dependent on your years of experience and less of what degree you have, which explains the notoriously low entry level salary but as you work longer in the field, your pay increases faster than say, an engineer's pay (while engineers enjoy a nicer starting pay). Also, the potential for an architect to earn a lot i think is higher than that of an engineer, but that happening is probably rare but certainly achievable.

architecture doesn't pay as high as say engineering or business because each project can't really be replicated since every project has its own specifications and context, unlike in engineering where you can sell the same idea many times and make a profit out of that.

Aug 15, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

orenstein what city do you live in???

Aug 15, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

Born and raised in NYC, so I guess my expectations are naturally skewed towards the ridiculous.

Aug 15, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: